MSC Poesia Cruise Review by Dave Rotthoff: Seven days on the Poesia were about five too many!

Dave Rotthoff
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on MSC Poesia Bermuda Cruises

Seven days on the Poesia were about five too many!

Sail Date: April 2010
Destination: Bermuda

My wife and I booked a seven day Bermuda/Nassau cruise on the Poesia with several other residents of our retirement community. This was far from our first cruise, but was our first [and last] experience with MSC. We will NOT be back. Granted, the ship is beautiful and the housekeeping staff does a wonderful job of keeping it clean. The room stewards provide adequate service, as does the wait staff in the dining rooms and lounges. Embarking and leaving the ship were quite well organized. The shows were just magnificent, far superior to anything we've seen on our previous cruises.

Sadly, things go downhill from here. The quality of much of the food fell far below our expectations. The prime rib I ordered was the second worst piece of prime I've been served in the last fifty years. My steak a night or so later was largely gristle, a complaint that I heard from many of the other passengers. I suspect MSC is buying low-grade cuts of beef as a cost-cutting measure. Meals were More often served cool, or even cold, which indicates that there is a major organization problem, either in the kitchen or the dining room, or both. Ordering a cocktail before dinner was an exercise in futility. You could [eventually] order one, but more likely than not it would not arrive until after you were done with your meal. The best dining experiences on the ship were eating in the cafeteria, and even that was often a mixed bag. Oh, and forget ordering from room service.....what an exercise in futility!

One of the things that really irked my wife and I is that we found many members of the supervisory dining room staff to be surly and rude. We ran in to the same rudeness problem with other staff members, as well as with people working in the various concession stores. Upper level management really needs to weed out employees with attitude problems. Remember, your staff members depend on the passengers for their livelihood. I was really irked about us being billed $24 a day to "tip" staff members for being rude to us; still am, for that matter.

From what I could see, perhaps 80% of the passengers on this cruise were from the United States, and, of course, the ship is based in a U.S. port, at least for the season. This being the case, I would suggest that MSC work MUCH harder to put together a cruise staff that is considerably more fluent in English. Our Indonesian cabin steward, our waiter, and the young ladies serving drinks in the lounge spoke the language much better than many of the entertainment staff, for example.

Did all these problems ruin our cruise? No, but they certainly caused us to enjoy it much less than we'd been led to believe would be the case. The neighbor who organized our trip, a woman who had sailed on another MSC ship and who told us that our cruise experience with MSC would be absolutely first-class, found herself apologizing to us several times. Will my wife and I book another MSC cruise? You've got to be kidding! Less

Read more MSC Poesia cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's MSC Poesia Review >>

Cabin review: MSC Poesia 3050

Cabin was quite comfortable.....somewhat larger than we've experienced on other purpose-built cruise ships but less so than cabins on older converted ocean liners. Storage space was certainly generous. Bed was quite comfortable.

We enjoyed our morning in King's Wharf. My wife went to various establishments to contribute to the local economy while I toured the maritime museum, which I really enjoyed. We also enjoyed, for the most part, the time we spent in St. George, though we both thought that Hamilton was pretty much of a waste of time.

The brief period we spent in Nassau was insufficient to really explore the area. Fortunately, this was our second stop there in less than a year, and our previous trip was such that we had ample time to tour the island. We had two simple goals this time: visit Senor Frog's for my wife to replace a shirt that she'd bought in Mexico years ago and shop at the straw market, which had burned down and had not been reopened when we were there last. Senor Frog's is overrated: too crowded and far too noisy. But the martini was well made, though the food was less so. My wife enjoyed looking at the junk [my assessment] in the straw market; I got out of there as quickly as possible.

Read 2615 Nassau Reviews