Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by ccmermaid: First and probably last cruise with Celebrity

ccmermaid
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean Cruises

First and probably last cruise with Celebrity

Sail Date: February 2010
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

My husband and I have cruised with Royal Caribbean and Carnival. This was our first and probably the last cruise on any Celebrity ship. As some other reviewers mentioned, we expected Celebrity to be upscale and a step above Royal Caribbean and Carnival. We were deeply disappointed on our very first day.

Everything started with the embarkation process which was delayed for several hours to allow for an intensive ship cleaning after a norovirus outbreak on the previous cruise.

On the first evening I saw that my brand new blouse and my husband's pants we were wearing that day were ruined by the chlorine used to disinfect the buffet chairs. We complained to the Guest Relations Desk. They apologized for it but actually did nothing. No reimbursement was offered nor anything to make us satisfied (a complementary spa or salon service, a dinner in Normandie). We submitted the Personal Property Reports and were told that we would be contacted in two weeks. After a month we More have not been contacted yet.

The buffet was also disappointing - long lines and we always had to ask for more food from the servers (passengers were not allowed to handle food themselves). Also the stations are set up well, but flow in the cafeteria section itself is poor. People always seemed to end up going in the wrong direction to get their food items.

The Summit is quite dated and poorly maintained. The buffet has old tables and dirty, sticky chairs. The pool area, deck chairs, everything is old, stained, broken and rusty. The furniture in the casino is chipped, most of the chairs are old and frayed. We never saw anyone painting or refinishing. The solarium smelled of urine.

Our stateroom looked worn. The sofa and the carpet had stains all over. The bathroom was nasty. The shower had mildew spots in the corners. The toilet seat was scratched. The whole bathroom smelled of mildew and the hallways by the stateroom smelled of sewage.

On one morning my husband and I got woken up very early by the smell of burning plastic. Once again we complained to the Guest Relations Desk. Again they apologized for it and again did nothing to resolve the problem. Later that day while returning to the ship we smelled the same smell and realized they were burning garbage on the ship.

On our last day we came to our cabin to change for dinner only to find the refrigerator locked and our things taken out and left on the coffee table. No one bothered to let us know that the refrigerator was going to be locked on the last evening. So unprofessional!

All in all, we really loved the itinerary, the food at the buffet and the pool grill and the entertainment. But the ship needs major refurbishment and interior redesign.

I posted some pictures of the Summit on Cruise Critic. If you want to see them just search for the Summit or my username ccmermaid in the Photo Gallery. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit Inside Stateroom Continental Deck (2)