Carnival Victory Cruise Review by klm2: A Victorious vacation

A Victorious vacation

Sail Date: March 2010
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: Barbados

This was our fourth cruise, all with carnival and in my opinion it was the best yet! We joined the ship in Barbados as it was cheaper to fly to Barbados than San Jaun from Calgary. We chose this cruise for it's many ports and it did not disappoint. We booked our own air and pre-cruise hotel.

We arrived on Monday, March 8. We were delayed for four hours in Toronto due to mechanical issues with the plane and while this was a bit disappointing, I'm glad they took the time to fix their issues, nothing worse than a plane crash to ruin your vacation. We chose the Silver Point Hotel in Christchurch and found it to be a beautiful boutique hotel directly on the beach. The dining area was a deck directly over the beach and the views were wonderful. The rooms were very nice and clean and the Ocean-view room that we booked was very nice, with a great view of the ocean. The restaurant was a bit expensive but had some of the best seafood we have ever had. We stayed here for two wonderful More nights.The day beds by the pool area were a nice touch.

On Wednesday we headed to the port to join our cruise. The whole embarkation process was very smooth with no line ups and before we knew it we were on board having our first drink. Our room wasn't going to be ready until 1:30 pm but that was fine. We found the Victory to be a typical Carnival ship, everything was where it should be. It is a bit older but was very clean and I would say it was my favorite ship as the decor was not overwhelming like on some other ships. The giant video screen that was recently added was a good addition and we did enjoy a movie there one night. In St.Lucia we tried booking our own excursion for the first time. Thanks to all the CC'ers we chose Cosul tours. One of the best decisions that I have ever made. What a great time! Somehow we ended up with anytime dining even though we had booked late seating. We were not wild with this as we had a different server every day. The food was better than expected and we both enjoyed our meals every day. We had breakfast in the dining-room one day and it was good but no better than the buffet so for the rest of the cruise it was off to the buffet for breaky. The omelettes were wonderful as usual and the line ups were a bit long at times. I discovered a omelet station at the back of the ship that no one seemed to know about after the second day and never waited again.

Our cat. 8c balcony room was very nice and despite the initial pink bathroom shock, we loved our room. Our stewards were wonderful as usual. The seas were wonderful every night and what a pleasure to wake up somewhere different every morning.

We departed when we arrived in Barbados on the last day. The whole process again was very smooth. We had to go see immigration at eight am and be out of our stateroom by 9:30. Luggage was placed in the hall before 9 am and arrived safely in the terminal. I believe we had until 1:30 to leave the ship but left at around 11am to do some last minute shopping before heading to the airport for our 3pm flight. The cab ride to the airport was $35.

What a great vacation, was it perfect? No, it never is and we had a great time. Would I do it again? Absolutely! Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Victory Balcony Empress 7349

We were accross from the stewards station and it was a bit noisy at times.

The poorest island on the tour. We booked river tubing through carnival. The first bus driver called in sick. The second driver showed up 20-30 minutes later and his bus broke down within sight of picking us up. We were told to come back 90 minutes later while they tried to figure out transportation. They gave us a 20% refund for the inconvenience. We shopped at the small booths surrounding the port while we waited. The tubing was well worth the wait and we had a great time.

Read 491 Dominica Reviews

Old city is beautiful and the forts are a sight to see. We walked around the lod city and fort fore sevearl hours, very nice. We also took the public ferry accross the bay and went to the Bacardi distillery for their free tour. It was neat but a bit more marketing than education. This was my wifes least favorite port as it is a big city and in contrast to the other stops.

Read 1361 San Juan Reviews

A pleasant stop, nice shopping area.

Go with Cosul tours, not available from carnival you need to book via e-mail. We were lucky enough to have cosul himself as our driver. He loves "his" island and it shows. We toured the island in new vans. Beer, punch and soft drinks at every stop. Local food was wonderful. Many stops to see the sights, an hour at a beach between the Pitons. Fresh hot bread and cheese on the way back to the ship. Never ran out of beer. The best excursion I have ever taken! St.Lucia is my favorite island.

My second favorite Island. Nice beaches, nice shopping area. Here we had booked America's Cup Sailing Regatta through carnival. Here you get to sail on 12 metre yachts that are the real boats from America's cup. This is a wonderful experience. You can chose your level of involvement in sailing the boat. Great time but I recommend it for a more active participant. I love sailing and this was a chance of a lifetime!

Again very nice port. We went to megans beach and had a nice day. Beautiful beach that is rated top ten by national geographic. The port was a bit noisy as this was where the ship brought on new supplies and food.

Read 2325 St. Thomas Reviews