Carnival Victory Cruise Review by Snowxman: Great cruise, no issues

Great cruise, no issues

Sail Date: March 2010
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

My wife and I just got back yesterday. We had a great time. Thanks to a call from the cheap upsell fairy we had our one, and probably only cruise in a Cat 12 GS suite. (cabin 7306). Loved the space, but we were never disappointed with a cat 8 balcony either.

We flew in the day of the cruise and had no issues. I had read a tip to get a porter at San Juan baggage claim and they will lead you to the head of the taxi line. Best tip I ever got and the best 5 bucks I ever spent. Got our taxi- I felt guilty for about 3 minutes, ok maybe 2.

Got to the pier gave a porter at the end of the pier a tip and the bags showed up in our room 2 hours later. On board processing was quick- 5 minutes in the VIP lounge and we were on board with sail and sign card in hand. Went right to the room. We happened to get there minutes after my brother and wife who were first time cruisers and had a cat 4 across the hall.

We experienced none, as in zero of the complaints that were a More theme in these reviews for a while. No long lines at the buffets, no rude Puerto Ricans, no abundance of kids running down the halls- in fact we rarely saw kids. No fights for elevators. This cruise was just as good as all past cruises we have sailed on.

St Thomas- Butterfly farm is not worth the money.

We did the Timini Catamaran turtle snorkel booked through the ship in Barbados. +5. Much fun, the turtles were right next to me. The bar opened on the return trip. Yes, we were doing a conga line as we went by the victory. Gotta love free rum punch.

St Lucia- We booked Cosol tours on our own based on CC suggestions. We were not disappointed. Another great tour at only 65 bucks each. It was a full day with lots of stops, food, and drink I highly endorse Cosol.

We did the Scenic rail Tour in St Kitts booked through the ship. A nice relaxing way to see the island.

Ate in the Pacific room all nights but one. Service and food were good

Disembarking: We had zone 1 because of the suite but did not need it. We had a 4pm flight. I have read complaints about the San Juan airport being a madhouse. It was, but then so is Cancun, Montego Bay, etc on a travel day. Don't forget the USDA line before check in. Suck it up and just do it.

My only disappointment is that it is all over. Great ship, great tour, have fun. Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Victory Suite Empress 7306

More space than you can fill up. Big balcony. Quiet, It had a mini fridge which is not common for regular rooms on this ship.