Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by elizadolittle

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by elizadolittle
Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Summit
Member Name: elizadolittle
Cruise Date: February 2010
Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean

pros and cons on Celebrity's Summit
This was my husband's first cruise, my second (I'd previously cruised on Carnival). We were on the 9th level deck in Concierge Class.

Pros: Our room was very nice, with a small balcony, loveseat/coffee table, desk/chair. It was clean. The cabin attendant, Joaquim (sp?), was wonderful as was the cleaning person. Joaquim gave us good personal attention on a day when I was ill and had to spend most of the day in our cabin (brought us dinner, tea, etc.) We left him an extra tip beyond the required amount. The cabin was a good value for the price and pretty quiet too. My husband also liked the size and style of it.

Cons: On the ship, in some areas of the cabin hallway and stairs there was the distinct smell of mildew. It was pretty bad. I have asthma and this worried me. I wondered what I would have done if it was in my cabin. By the last day, we could smell this same smell in a corner of our cabin where there was a connecting door to another cabin. By that time I was in the full throes of a cold caught onboard, which turned into bronchitis.

Another con: In the San Juan airport it was a LONG line to wait for the buses to take us to the dock. There wasn't much direction or communication. After two days of travel (for us) to get there, it was further tiring to have to stand up in line. Once we got to the dock, embarkation was easy and pleasant.

BUT, we'd been told by Celebrity that there was no specified time seating the first night. Whenever we were able to show up at the dining room would be fine. Not so! The staff was not prepared for us at 7:30 pm (we didn't get to the ship until 6:30 or so, our dining time was early dining at 6). Still, they fit us in, but we felt ill at ease as if we'd made a mistake right off the bat.

Dining: we did not care for our main waiter, Crescent. He talked fast, was difficult to understand, talked too much, every night spend too much time saying how much he liked waiting on us, was everything okay and how was he doing? (in a way that prevented real honesty)... By night four I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, but in the end wished we'd gone to the Normandie every night for dinner. It would have been more enjoyable for us, though our table mates were quite pleasant and suffered with us through our waiter's ministrations. Perhaps it was a cultural thing, but he seemed to be doing things by rote and looked like he wanted to be anywhere but on that ship. His assistant Carlos was great, though, and I wish we could have had him solely.

The Normandie Restaurant is a gem. The food was some of the best we've eaten, the presentation was pure art, the wait staff is specially trained and wonderful and the price... we didn't realize it until afterward but only $35 per person, plus tip! My husband and I are "foodies" travel just for good restaurants and my husband was in the restaurant/food business and his family in the hotel business. He is a good judge of food and said the dessert was the best dessert he'd ever eaten in a restaurant. We didn't dine there until our last night and said next time we'd eat there every night. Totally worth it.

San Juan airport: long long security lines. Be prepared to stand up a long time. There is a nice place to sit and eat in the airport. We had quite a wait for our plane.

Publication Date: 03/19/10