Regatta Cruise Review by Celry: Sailed on the Regatta as King and Queen

Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Regatta Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Sailed on the Regatta as King and Queen

Sail Date: December 2009

We have just come home from a 12 day sailing on the Regatta touring the Caribbean Pearls. It was our first cruise and we are not sure if we will cruise again but this decision has nothing to do with the ship the Regatta and Oceania Cruise Line. The ship itself is beautiful from bow to stern. The decor, the cleanliness, and ease of moving about was perfect. Every single staff member, from someone passing a vacuum to the Captain were obviously happy and genuinely so to serve you or be of assistance. No question went unanswered. If they didn't know, they would go away and come back with an answer. The food was an absolute delight. Whether it was in the Grand Dining Room or Tappas on the Terrace, it was always fresh, hot, or cold, perfectly dished up, with all the accompaniments expected. A nice surprise was all the delicions no sugar added items. We thoroughly enjoyed each and every drink and morsel or food. The waiters were there to place the napkin over your lap or help you with your More plate to your table. Always pleasant, always smiling. I loved the 4 o'clock tea with the string quartet and went every chance I got which was only 2 or 3 times as we were often ashore. It was very relaxing. The room was plenty spacious and super clean. The maid passing twice daily, to clean in the morning and to do the turn down with the chocolates at night. Room service always quick. One evening I couldn't finish my dessert and the waiter in the restaurant sent it to my room 30 minutes after I left the restaurant just as they said they would. The pool deck was well maintained however despite a sign asking people not to reserve the deck chairs or their items will be moved if they are not on deck, people were doing it. Only two times in the 12 days did we manage to get deck chairs and it was because we got them really early and hung onto them. The generous amount of towels were nice to have. Four things I didn't enjoy. More than once I could not get into the Spas beside the pool. The water was just too hot! I wore a gold chain around my ankle and it would actually heat up and burn my skin. Some days it was okay but it wasn't consistent. I don't like the salt water pool. Let's leave that in the ocean thank you very much. It makes your skin and hair sticky and it burns the eyes. Where's the joy in that? I swim twice a week at home and missed really swimming around under the water. The other thing I didn't like was the Canyon Ranch Spa. I found it unorganized and abandoned. There were towels and robes piled on the floor. There was no on around except for the girl at the desk who really didn't make you feel welcome. The lotions were empty or almost empty. The Spa outside, well all the plastic side covers were off and just piled up around the edge of the pool. It looked unkempt. Anyways, for $144 x two (my husband and me) for an hour massage, I expected something better. The last thing I didn't enjoy was the number of old people on this cruise. Just to be clear, I don't have anything against old people. But it seemed the cruise catered to them. The music always the elevator type, never any island music or fun music around the pool. No occasional fun animation for the younger crowd at all. I am 57 and my boyfriend 59. It's not like we're 25, but the kinds of things offered would put anyone to sleep. From the 12 piece orchestra for the dancing (Lawrence Welk style) to bridge lessons. I"m thinking it's because of the size of the ship but we are 650+ passengers. I saw many younger than us! So all in all, I rate Oceania Cruise Line and the Regatta 5 stars. Heather & Dan Montreal, Canada Less

Read more Regatta cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Regatta Review >>

Cabin review: Regatta 4051

The room was spacious remembering that we are on a ship! The shower sufficient with plenty of shelving int he bathroom for toiletries. There were many drawers and cubby holes and hangers for clothes. The TV was well positioned. We were on deck 4 near the reception desk and we were never disturbed by any noise. The room was a good choice to avoid any sea sickness and was convenient to the elevators.

We did not enjoy Antigua very much. It seems it is a dog eat dog place and the taxi drivers are hasseling each other over money. Our taxi driver even abandoned us! Luckily we didn't pay in advance. Good lesson..... always pay after! Avoid Dickenson Beach at all costs. Choose somewhere else to go.

Read 804 Antigua Reviews

Margaritaville is terrific! The beach beautiful. REally enjoyed the fresh water swimming pool after hours in the ocean. Lovely

Cayo Levantado, Samana was not on the list so I pulled out Montreal where I'm from lol

What a super fantastic place. It was the most beautiful of all the beaches we went to. There is nothing else there! We chose a spot at the far left of the beach which turned out to be the most beautiful and the most private with plenty of shade at the water's edge.

Portsmouth, Dominica Again, this port is not on the list so I used Montreal.

This day was absolutely perfect. WE arranged an excursion wet tour with Bumping Tours. They are absolutely wonderful! We went from Portsmouth (we were supposed to dock at Roseau but it was changed at the last minute to Portsmouth) to Roseau and onto Trafalgar Falls, the Botanial Gardens, Anse de Chastenet Beach and of course snorkeling at The Champagne Reef. Look up in Google "Bumping Tours". You won't regret spending a day with them.

(5.5)
Since it was a rainyish day, we took a boat taxi over to Peter Island Resort. It turned out to be a very good decision. There we only 2 of 7 people on the pristine beach. This resort is very exclusive with a cost of $10,000 a week! We had a beautiful lunch (albeit expensive $55 for a chicken wrap and club sandwich) in the beach restaurant. The steel band was superb making us feel like we were really vacationing in the Caribbean!

Read 502 Tortola Reviews

The day we were there the red flag was out and we couldn't really swim in the water. There isn't anything there other than The Baths. It certainly is something to see! You can grab a taxi at the port to take you there.