Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by chetsgenius

Cruise Date: November 2009
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Transatlantic
Cabin Category: CC
See More About: Celebrity Summit Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Best Cruise!
My husband and I (along with my parents) were just on the Summit going from Barcelona to San Juan. My husband and I were probably one of the younger couples on board being 29 and 35. My parents are in their 50's.

We did not book a hotel through Celebrity in Barcelona as we booked it on our own because it was way cheaper. Embarkation was a breeze both my husband and I, and my parents were in CC class, no line and we were on the boat in probably 1/2 hour, we also stopped to change some money which took more time than anything else!

The ship was great! We have only been on Celebrity one other time and that was on the Galaxy on a transatlantic 3 years ago. This time (and last time) we had a balcony in CC class. I loved the room, thought the bed was comfy, everything was very clean and nice. I loved both of these ships the Summit however has a great indoor Thalassotherapy pool which was wonderful, and warm, which the Galaxy didn't have. Though I liked the buffet set up better in the Galaxy, either way both were/are great ships. Even more fun this time of year the Summit was decorated for Christmas!

I really liked Celebrity's enrichment and learning programs. My husband and I went to dance lessons, all four of us went to the lectures which were very informational, one Smithsonian speaker on Oceans and the other on Africa. The on board ship entertainment (dancers and singers) were excellent! Having last been on NCL where I refused to go to the shows because they were so bad this was a welcome and wonderful change! The entertainers they brought on board were also very good.

We did two shore excursions one in Agadir, and one in San Juan. Both were very good. My parents did an excursion at almost every port and they enjoyed all of them. My favorite places had to be Valencia and Malaga Spain. Both cities were very interesting. I managed to find a tack store (horse store) in Valencia where I could buy gifts for all my friends (most of them including me have horses). Malaga had a small Christmas market and they had a ton of Christmas lights hanging at almost every street, and each street had a different lighting theme. One street was all snowflakes, one street was a red and white design, one was music notes, all were very pretty!

The food was fantastic, just as good as I remembered on the Galaxy. The buffet was always good, though I think the newer ships with the "pods" would work better than the old buffet line, as we had a number of people on board who didn't understand the concept of standing in line, and always tried to line jump. We also had the best waiters in the main dining room, very nice, professional, and helpful, they were excellent I can't say enough good about them. We also at the Normandie (twice) which was absolute wonderful. I wasn't sure how they could improve on the food and they did. It was so good that we went back the next night and took my mother. I am not a big fan of specialty restaurants (mainly because I don't want to pay extra) but this one is well worth it!

I would definitely sail on Celebrity again, and we are currently looking for another cruise!

Publication Date: 12/23/09
Read the Transatlantic ports review by chetsgenius
More Celebrity Summit Cruise Reviews