Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by AdMaven: Relaxing cruise ~ Radiance was beautiful!

AdMaven
Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Radiance of the Seas Mexican Riviera Cruises

Relaxing cruise ~ Radiance was beautiful!

Sail Date: October 2009
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: San Diego

This was the first time I have cruised on Radiance and only the second RCI ship since all my prior cruises were on Monarch out of Los Angeles. Since we lost Monarch I thought I would try going out of San Diego.

My friend and I took Metro-link from her city to Union Station in Los Angeles and then Amtrak business class to San Diego. She is disabled and we found the Amtrak crew to be extremely helpful. The train ride to San Diego was very relaxing. We had views of the Pacific around Oceanside and most of the way South. I highly recommend this if you want to avoid driving and parking at the pier in San Diego. Amtrak is easily in walking distance to the pier but we took a taxi for obvious reasons.

Boarding was pretty easy and our JS was very comfortable. We had asked for twin beds and when we got to the room it was a queen. Our cabin steward, Al, came in and he said he would take care of it that afternoon, and he did. Al was fantastic. Our room was always clean and he More made sure we had ice and extra pillows. He greeted us by name every day and made our stay very special. We made sure to leave extra gratuity in the room as he did such a fantastic job!

We did MTD and it was wonderful. We made reservations every day based on what we were going to do and never had to wait for a table. We had dinner in Chops our first sea day and it was a fantastic dining experience and well worth the extra $25 per person.

We had fun in the casino (my friend won $1,000 the first night!) and we really enjoyed the "Love and Marriage" game. We didn't go to any other entertainment so I can't comment on that, nor did we use the ship's spa or fitness areas. I spent a lot of time on the balcony and enjoyed room service for breakfast a day or two, and always my coffee on the balcony. Less

Read more Radiance of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Radiance of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Radiance of the Seas Junior Suite with Balcony Deck 10 1540

JS 1540 has a great walk-in closet, nice unobstructed balcony and very quiet. We only heard a bit of noise the last night and it wasn't excessive. The beds were very comfortable.

This was my first time in Cabo and we booked a tour though a local company. The tour guide was fun, but it wasn't at all what I expected. It was supposed to be a city tour with a stop at a glass blowing factory and shopping in San Jose del Cabo.

The glass blowing factory was a garage on a dirt alley, and the shopping in Cabo before San Jose del Cabo was to an over-priced silver jewlery store with the highest pressure salesmen I have ever encountered. We were given a few minutes to walk one block in either direction before getting back in the van to go to San Jose del Cabo, where we went to yet another specific jewelry store (with a bit less pressure).

We did take a "glass bottom boat" out to Land's End, Lover's Beach, etc and that was fun. The other highlight of the tour was going to a beautiful hotel overlooking the bay where you could also view the Pacific Ocean.

Having been to Ensenada many times before, we opted for spa treatments in Ensenada and it was very relaxing and affordable. I did notice the children that were there selling gum on my prior visits were missing and I hope they are back in school. The shop keepers and street vendors were very aggressive and that really turned me off and made any shopping less than desirable for me.

Read 243 Ensenada Reviews