Carnival Victory Cruise Review by bythehex

Cruise Date: September 2009
Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean

A Just OK Vacation
We cruised on the Victory last week (9/13 - 9/20/09). This was our 2nd time on this ship, the 1st time was 7 years ago. I found the decor to be garish and gaudy, which some people seemed to like. Not my style, but didn't really care about the decor. Let me start out by saying the staff was WONDERFUL. They couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful and I don't have one complaint about anyone who works on that ship. They work hard to make everyone's time on board nice, and they do an exceptional job. Especially security, who needed to work overtime to get people to stop bringing their children to the Adults Only pool. The sign means what it says. Adults. Only.

We really disliked the other passengers on this cruise! I don't believe the makeup of the passengers was indicative of many nice Puerto Rican families we've met in the past. Unfortunately, we encountered some of the rowdiest, rudest and loudest folk on this particular cruise than in eight previous cruises. Many times we were on line in the buffet only to be literally pushed out of the way, and getting in and out of the elevators was like taking our life into our hands. We could have been trampled by the kids running wild.

As for the itinerary, I think there were too many islands for us. I really missed having at sea days.

St. Thomas - we walked from the ship into Charlotte Amalie. We love walking around there, we really enjoy it but it was VERY hot so we took a taxi back to the ship and enjoyed that adults only pool area.

Dominica - it rained the day we docked here. It's really very third world like, I didn't find it particularly appealing until we took a walk by ourselves up a side street. We found a beautiful old church with an oxidized copper roof, and a library built in 1905 by Andrew Carnegie. We could have walked more but it started raining again so we headed back to the ship.

Barbados - the ship docks in the heart of a shipping warehouse district. You get lovely views of forklifts unloading truck containers, and the potent smell of diesel fuel. We went into Bridgetown and it was just like Jamaica - Jamaica, Queens, that is. Talk about urban decay. Blech.

St. Lucia - THIS was the highlight of our cruise. We took an outside tour from a place called Cosol. What a gorgeous island and what a wonderful tour, I would recommend it to anyone. We got to eat bananas fresh off the tree, sample island foods and drink, see a volcano, a waterfall, and swim at a private beach situated between the two Pitons. It was a remarkable day.

Antigua - We didn't take any tours here, just walked around the shopping area, went to the museum, and then relaxed on the ship. We were still tired from the day before.

St. Kitts - it would have been nice if the ship had announced that the day we were in St. Kitts was their Independence Day holiday! And that most things (other than the same old souvenir shops and Diamonds International) were closed. We were not impressed.

In all, we managed to have a nice time, but, I don't think we would ever do this itinerary again nor would we sail on this ship again. Twice was more than enough.

Publication Date: 09/23/09