Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by katara

Shore Excursions 5+
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Triumph - Western Caribbean
Hi went we on the June 26 western Caribbean sailing. The ship was completely booked. Being as through school was out there were A LOT of children on board. Overall I had a really good experience there were only some minor problems

Embarkment: this process is long and painful just when you think it is over you have to go around a corner and whip out your ID again.

Room: I felt the rooms have come a long way since we last cruised on the Fantasy. They are much larger and they have a lot more amenities. The rooms had plenty of space and we had an oceanview cabin. The window was very dirty so it was a little hard to see out of it but I guess that is understandable since it would be very hard for someone to clean all of the windows. The tv received several channels and played several movies.

Dining: we ate dinner in the dining room 5 of the 7 nights. The food was just average but our waiter was so kind that it made up for the food. The Triumph only offered lobster on one night and that was the 1st formal night. The lobster was dried out because it had been steamed to long. Most nights the food in the dining was average. I ordered two entrees each night usually the seafood and the steak. The steak was hit and miss some nights good other nights very chewy. The gala buffet was had the best desserts. As a matter of fact I would personally advise against purchasing any of the desserts in the venezia cafe since they will have all of these desserts the night of the gala buffet and the following day. Now for the best part of the food. The Hong Kong Noodle Company was GREAT. Everything was cooked fresh in front of you so it was alway very very hot. I did not get to test out room service because my room phone was broken.

Public Areas: the staff strived to keep this ship as clean as possible. I never saw staff walk past trash on the floor. Restrooms were clean too or at least the women's were. The Rome Lounge was packed every night. If you did not arrive early you had to sit behind a pole which of course obstructed the view. The layout of the ship is very very very poor. I ate in the upper level Paris dining room on the 3 and 4 floor aft. Both the 3 and 4 floors have several public areas yet you can not walk straight across these decks to get the dining room instead you have to either take the aft elevators or walk across the 5th floor and then come down. By the 4th day we got hip to it but the cruise was almost over before you could figure out how to nagivate through the ship. This maybe looked at as a positive since it would be much fun to learn everything about the ship on the first night.

Entertainment: The triumph had so many activities planned that it was impossible to do everything that you. So I stopped trying. I chose to relax instead of running from this end of the ship to the next.

Spa: Most of the spa staff was rude but I later found out that they had to work a 18 hour shift the day before so I guess I can cut them some slack. I got the overpriced spa pedicure. They called it a fancier name but it was just a regular pedicure. The brochure said that it was 55 minutes but in fact mine only lasted 30 minutes. Plus the brochure shows you sitting in a massaging chair with your feet soaking in a spa footbath. That was not the case I was sitting in a folding chair with my feet in a large bowl.

Shore excursions: In hindsight I can laugh about this but it was funny when it happened. Please book all of your shore excursions through the ship. I decided to do some internet research and of course I found the same excursions for far less money. I booked an ATV ride in cozumel for 99 for the two of us and Carnival was charging 99 per person so I figured this is a great deal I will save 50% anyway the tour started off as planned but then the tour guide dropped us off in the middle of nowhere and told us that another guide would be right there to pick up the tour where he left. Needless to say was incorrect and since we were in the middle of no where there were no cabs finally a police officer was passing by and he called a cab for us. Grand cayman we went on the see and sea tour (booked through carnival of course) and it was great Jamaica we went on a dunn's river and enchanted gardens tour once again worth every penny. Ladies if you like to shop for jewelry ocho rios is the place to go, it will take a little bargaining back and forth but it will be well worth it.

Gentlemen if alcohol is your thing do not listen to Carnival, Carnival claims that the cheapest place to buy liquor is in Grand Cayman. WRONG the states are cheaper than Grand Cayman. Cozumel is the cheapest place. The only thing I would buy from grand cayman is rum, they sell the same rum for cheaper in jamaica but in grand cayman they will deliver to your stateroom so that you do not have to walk around with several liters of rum while you are on your shore excursion.

Disembarkment: what a breeze I did self assist disembarkment jumped in a cab and was at the airport by 8:30 as a matter of fact we were there so early that we decided to pay for earlier ticket home. As long as you are within your customs allowance, a US citizen, and able to carry all of your own lugguge (which you carry it to the port so I can not imagine why you can't carry it home) then you can do self assist disembarkment. Definitely the way to go.

Publication Date: 07/12/04