Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by Jimsgirl: QM2 - Transatlantic

Compare Prices on Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Transatlantic Cruises

QM2 - Transatlantic

Sail Date: April 2009
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Anyone who had read my review of QV in Jan will know tha.t was not the best cruise I have had, but the QM2 was 100% different.

Flew from Fort Myers FL to New York via Jet Blue, good through flight. I was met be Cunard rep with a limo to take me to my Hotel. Hilton  on Av of Americas.  Room was ready (2p.m) very good, my caveat would be to eat somewhere other than in the hotel, both for price and choice.

Travelled to Brooklyn by Cunard bus, luggage went ahead of time and was in my room when I arrived which was very good.
Boarding routine was faily painless as I have to have a wheelchair , the only delay was that there was a grave shortage of chairs.something Cunard might look into.

My stateroom was an inside , two grades up from my original booking, it was very clean and my stewardess was excellent.   I travel solo and the beds were made up as singles. I prefer a king size and this was arranged promptly by the stewardess so no problem More there.

Dining,      I had asked for and received a table for 6/8, but most nights there was only three of us dining, but this was not a problem.
Food.       Much better than on the QV, I enjoyed just about every meal. I also dined in the Golden Lion and Sir Samuels,  I went to tea a couple of times, but as I had 6p.m dineer I had to limit mmyself in order not to over indulge.

Entertainment   Shows much as normal, Apassionata was the big hit as always.  Lectures were varied, some I did not enjoy but that is most likely due to my own feelings rather than the ability of the speaker.

There are no ports on a Transatlantic, the ship  did of course spend time in Southampton on turnaround but I did not go ashore - again difficult needing a wheelchair.

I enjoyed the trip, I felt the QM2 staff and administration was far superior than on the QV in Jan.

Bad points.    I do wish the Cunard would banish those terrible tacky "sidewalk sales" every day another "sale", and they are frankly a hazard to those who wish to simply get from A to B without  "shopping"
The other "big" issue for myself is breakfast on disembarkation. obviously I would have difficulty in the Kings Court, but going to the dining room is always a horror show.  This time was no exception.  Few waiters, service therefore slow, limited menu, table not correctly laid , no sugar, no milk, and no preserve.  I received my juice AFTER the cooked portin of my meal (this  also was  not the items I had ordered).
 I do realise that turnaround time is limited, but Cunard coiuld and should do something to make breakfast at disembakation more civilised.   The impression is very much, "we have had your money, now get off the ship, we are tired of you"

Disembarkation itself was smooth, went to Golden Lion at 8.15a.m off ship by 9a.m.  Cunard have no control over the porters of course, finding my one suitcase was failry easy (it is a bright green colour) but had a problem, the porters did not want to be bothered with just one case, but objected when I tried to wheel the case alongside my wheelchair. Cannot deal with the trade union mentality. Less

Read more Queen Mary 2 (QM2) cruise reviews >>