Carnival Legend Cruise Review by LeanneS

Embarkation: Tampa
        16+ 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Good Times
This was our third cruise and was the best yet! We live in Tampa so we really enjoyed being 25 minutes away from the port...no flying...no driving for hours. We arrived around 12:45 and got on around 1:45. It seemed to take longer to get on the ship, but we got there later than we normally would if the ship was at another port. The port in Tampa is very nice, although I may be partial to Tampa. The nice part about getting on later is your cabin is ready so you can take your carry on baggage immediately to the room.

After we set sail, I went to see the ship sail underneath the Skyway Bridge. I heard it was a site to see. My family thought I was crazy since we have been over it many times, but it was nice to see it from a different perspective.

The second day was at sea. We really enjoy those days because they are low key and relaxing. My husband and daughter participated in a trivia game and won the wonderful golden ship. I attended a wine tasting in the supper club. I enjoyed it; however, the lady next to me said they provided a lot of cheap wine and provided a few tidbits of info that were wrong. But since I am not a true expert, I would not have known. I was thankful that I sat next to her because she provided a few tidbits of her own. Since this day was my husband's birthday, I made reservations at the supper club for this night which was elegant night. It was really good! It was worth the additional price. They give you lots of food so make sure you are hungry when you go. My daughter and I had the lobster tails and my husband had the surf and turf. The steak was excellent! The lobster tails were good, but I would get the surf and turf next time. We had the chocolate torte for dessert. We were thinking it would be one item; it was actually 5 glasses of different desserts! The presentation was amazing! They also had entertainment that was nice.

The third day was in the Cayman Islands. We didn't have any shore excursions planned. We decided to go shopping. Shopping was okay; it is probably better if you are into jewelry. While shopping we found the Atlantis submarine. We were going to go on the submarine, but it was full so we went on their Explorer boat. It is a boat that has a bottom that is under the water. It was much cheaper than going on the submarine. It was $39 per adult and it was $19 for my daughter who is 15. I really enjoyed it! We did get to see a lot of fish including barracuda and tarpon. We even saw one sea turtle and a few stingrays. If you don't like snorkeling, this is the way to go.

The fourth day was in Cozumel. We went to the beach and did a little bit of snorkeling. We also went shopping in the port area.

The fifth day was in Belize. We went cave tubing and ATVing with cavetubing.com. We really enjoyed this excursion. There are some benefits with going through cavetubing.com. First on cave tubing, they know the river very well and let you know when to put your "butts up". They also will take picture for you if want them to. If you go, make sure you bring a waterproof camera. Unlike other tours, they keep you together in groups by having you lock your feet into the tube in front of you. They also guide you through the river. You do not have to do anything except keep your "butts up" when they say. If you want to go leisurely at your own pace, then do not choose cavetubing.com. They are in charge of the flow which was fine by me because they know the river and you can trust them to keep you safe. Thanks Joe, Dutch, Dirty Harry, and Yhony! I enjoyed the ATV; however, my husband would have preferred to go faster. You can go only as fast as the person in front of you.

The sixth day was in Roatan. From the ship, it looked a beautiful country. We didn't go on any excursions. We ventured out and went shopping. It appears to be a poor country. Hopefully, the cruise industry will boost their economy. We had an eleven year old boy named John who attached himself to us and showed us the route to downtown. We brought candy for the kids and they snatched it up.

The seventh day was at sea. We spent most of the day in the casino.

For dinner in the main dining room, we got the new open seating assignment. It was great! We never had to wait in a line and we got our own table. In my opinion, that is the way to go! The food on the ship was okay. I think the quality has gone down, but it is still good. The chocolate melting cake was awesome.

Our cabin steward, Julia, was great! She was very friendly and if she saw you she always asked how your day was. Our cabin was 6222 and had a balcony. I really like having a balcony and cannot imagine not having a room without one now.

Our daughter who is 15 attended the O2 club. She really enjoyed it! She made a lot of friends. They had a party planned for them every night. Disembarkation went really smooth; although, I hate getting up that early to get off the ship especially when it means your vacation is over. We always do the self-assist.

Overall, it was an excellent cruise! As I mentioned before, it was the best cruise so far. The other two we went on were also Carnival, one to the Southern Caribbean and one to the Bahamas. BTW, the cruise director, Shawn, (who was the best) mentioned that the Legend was rated second in the fleet for customer service.

Have a great time on your next cruise!

Publication Date: 07/25/08