Carnival Glory Cruise Review by Volzcruiser: Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean

Sail Date: October 2007
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Traveling is my wife and my self.

Day 1 - Arrival: We flew in to Orlando and had a sedan pick us up at the airport. I would highly recommend doing. this it is cheaper than the transfer services offered by Carnival and you don't have to wait for the bus to fill up. Once we arrived in Orlando it took about an hour and a half to reach the terminal. The check in procedure was a bit hectic and seemed to be disorganized. Apparently there was a problem with VIP checking which seemed to have a trickle down effect to the rest. Over all the check in procedure was quite smooth and we were on the ship at about 2:00. After a bit of lunch and exploring, it was time for muster drill. This went off with out a hitch and the only complaint that I have is the Chatty Cathies that feel that it is more important for them to talk than for me to hear what is being said by the CD concerning important issues that might save my life in an emergency.

Day 2 - Bahamas: We arrived bright and More early in Nassau and it was a Sunday which is important because most of the shops don't open until 10:00. So if you don't have an excursion or other plans you might want to take you time getting off the ship. We had decided to strike out on our own and find a nice beach to hang out at for the day since it is such a short stop. From everything we heard Paradise Island was the place to go and to take the water ferry to get there. I wouldn't recommend the ferry to anyone it take too long to get to going and once you get going it really wasn't much more than 5 minute ride to get to island but they make it take 10 minutes so that you can hear the rather worthless speech of some of the highlights, so they can ask you for a tip at the end. Now getting to the beach on Paradise Island isn't a simple task if you listen to the ferry guide. Not sure if he just didn't know that way or just didn't care to give quickest directions to walk from the ferry to the beach. The directions the guide gave was and extra 45 minutes of walking. Once we got to the beach we also found out there really isn't any public changing rooms. The Atlantis resort was kind enough to let us use their restrooms to change. It took us almost 2 ½ hours from the time we set out to get to the beach until the time we actually had a chance to enjoy the beach. I would advise that anyone wanting to go the beach take an excursion or use the numerous cabs waiting at the terminal.

After a brief stay on the beach it was time for some shopping and Conch. We caught a cab at Atlantis and were back down in the shopping area in about 10 minutes. After a few shops, we asked one of the locals for a good restaurant that served conch and was told Cafe Skew just down the street had the best. They weren't wrong. We had Conch Fritters, Conch Chowder and a Conch Burger. All were excellent. At this point it was time we had head back to the ship and set sail for St Thomas. We really wish we had more time in the Bahamas but understand that the ship has to get to its next port so we will just have to go back another day. Almost forgot that this is the Captain's Party and Formal night.

Day 3 - Day at Sea: Not much I can really say here, there was a lot of rain and what some would say was a bumpy ride. The ship had to travel on the outskirts of Tropical Storm Noel and that just made things more interesting and lots of fun to walk around. We did have dinner at the Supper Club as always it the food and service was excellent.

Day 4 - St. Thomas: Due to the bad weather we arrived a little late to St Thomas but not by much and it wasn't going to ruin our day. So we got a late breakfast and waited to be called for Immigration. It did seem to take a bit longer than what I expected for us to clear customs and immigration. For the first part of the day we decided to strike out on our own since we had been here before and knew what we wanted to do. This basically means shopping and a beach. So we hit all the shops in Havensight and then went downtown and finished up our shopping. After hitting the stores it is off to Megan's bay. What a beautiful place. It really is as beautiful as everyone says but if you don't like crowds you might want to go somewhere else.

After our little self excursion we did take an excursion that called the Champagne Sunset Cruise. Of all the excursions I have ever taken this has to be one of the best. Sailing and seeing all the lights of the harbor just after sunset was absolutely fabulous. I would highly recommend this to anyone who just wants to end a great day in St Thomas with a nice calming excursion.

Day 5 - St Martin: Of all the places to shop I found that the Dutch side of St Martin the best place to purchase liquor. St Thomas had good prices but St Martin had the best by far. We got off the ship as early as possible to get some last minute shopping done before heading on an excursion that would take us to the French side to do some shopping over there. The shopping over on the French side is nice but wasn't all that good due to the Euro to U.S. Dollar conversion. I did enjoy some nice French cuisine while on the French side I don't think I will feel the need to get French side again.

So after a fun day in St Martin is was time to head back to the ship and get ready for Halloween. For us Halloween is a lot of fun and we do like to dress up for the event. This year we went at Col. Sanders and a Chicken. We do wish that we had made it to the final contest but some how we missed when the prejudging would be taking place, but we did have a lot of fun being dressed up and giving out what little bit of candy we brought for the kids.

Day 6 & Day 7 - Sea days: These days can be written together. We did nothing but relax and recharged our batteries. Due to still Tropical Strom Noel the ship was still rocking a bit and lots of wind while on deck. The wind was a nice thing because it kept you cool.

Day 8 - Disembarkation: Of all the disembarkations that I been through this was the worst. The communication and organization of the ship's staff was awful. Also know that self assist debarkation doesn't get off any earlier than old style debarkation method. So if you need to get off early to catch a flight you might want to look into the luggage express program since it now has priority to debarking or you if you have an flight before 1 and you must have verification of you flight time.

Food: Supper Club and Dinning Room food were excellent and I loved every bit that I ate. Dinning Rooms Servers: Wayan and Mario Excellent Room Steward: Nestor excellent CD: WEE Jimmy very funny but not a great cruise director. Keeping guests updated with what is going on is one of his primary jobs and he failed miserably at this. I understand that he is a busy person but that is why he has assistants.

Final thoughts: This cruise was absolutely wonder and would recommend it to anyone. Even with the rough seas and bad weather we still had a great time. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>