Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by jojomacing: Explorer of the Seas - Western Caribbean

jojomacing
Member Since 2007

Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Explorer of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Explorer of the Seas - Western Caribbean

Sail Date: April 2007

This was our first cruise on Royal Caribbean and my wife's very first cruise. We got to Miami a couple of days early and stayed with some friends. Miami is not what I thought it would be but it was still fun. We got to the port around 11:15 and we were on the ship at 11:20. I swear it was that fast as long as you have your information filled out on line before you get there and you have your passport and credit card out when you get to the desk. By 11:30 we were in the windjammer having lunch.

The ship is amazing. There is barely any signs of wear on this ship. You see employees all the time cleaning this ship and making sure things look great. I spent a week exploring and everyday I think I found something new. We headed to our cabin about 1:00 and everything was ready. We had a balcony room on the ninth floor on the port side about 4 rooms from the aft. Having a balcony is so great. I can never go back again. We slept with the door open everynight. Our room attendant Rene More was really nice and always had our room clean. The dinning room is so big. Our waiter Kline and assistant Juilo were really nice and always got us everything we needed. Besides them, Irelynn, the bar waiter, was always there with our drinks. The food was really good in the dinning room. The windjammer is ok but definitely not better than the dinning room.

Our first stop was Belize. The city is a little run down but still the people are really nice. We booked a snorkel trip through Star Tours. We had to take a water taxi to an Caye Cuakler island, about 40 minutes by boat to start our tour. It was great. We saw stingrays and the great barrier reef. I could go back to that island and stay forever. In Belize we had to tender in. Tendering sucks but we got through it.

The next stop was Costa Maya. I love this place. We left out of the port and went to Mahahual, about 2 minutes away. When we got there we found the Cats Meow based on the recommendations on the boards. It was great, we sat under a tent all day and drank and ate. My brother and I even took our lounge chairs and sat in the water and drank. I could stay here all day also. The owners of the Cats Meow came out several times to make sure we were having fun. I totally recommenced this place. Every body in our group got message at the tent right next door. $20 for 45 minute message. You can't get that on the ship.

Next stop was Cozumel. This place is great also. We hired a taxi to take us all over the island. We stopped at the small Mayan Ruins. Make sure you like to walk here as everything is spread out. We also visited the Tequila Museum and had the best margaritas of all time. Thats hard to beat since I live in San Diego and we have some pretty dam good ones. We also went to the east side of the Island. Not much over there but it is really great to see. Did a little shopping and came back to the ship.

Last stop was Grand Cayman. We took a taxi to Hell and mailed a post card and did some shopping. This island was my least favorite since all the shops was like being in the states. They are so americanized and thats not what I want to see when I am on vacation in the Caribbean.

On the ship we didn't really see any shows since my wife and I like to gamble but we did see the quest. If you have never seen this one, make sure you go. It is really for adults only and for those of you that have gone before, I did loose my dignity that night with some of the things I did.

We docked back in Miami about 5 am. According to our bag tags we were supposed to get off between 7:30-8. They called ours while we were eating breakfast and so we went off right after that. I think we walked off about 7:45 and we were through customs and had our bags before 8.

I would definitely do this ship again. To bad it is going to New Jersey so I probably will never see it again. Less

Read more Explorer of the Seas cruise reviews >>