Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by monks07: NCL Stands for Nightmare Cruise Line

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sky Bahamas Cruises

NCL Stands for Nightmare Cruise Line

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Bahamas

I would first like to start off by saying that I am an experience cruiser on both Royal Caribbean and Carnival. I cruise once a year and I have never had a complaint. This was my first experience cruising with NCL's Norwegian Sky (I was excited) and I can assure you it was my last. From the moment I arrived on your embarkation site the lack of customer service I received was shocking. As I entered I was told that I had to pay a corking fee for the two bottles of champagne my room was carrying on. I read on the NCL site that the fee would only apply to persons who were having the bottle open at dinner or outside their cabin. This was not the case in my situation and I still had to pay 30 dollars for a corking fee. When I asked the lady about what I read on line she rudely cut me off before finishing my sentence and said NO!!!! a cork fee needs to be paid doesn’t matter what you read. No cordial clarification just a final NO... I should have gotten use to that word because it was More the magic word of the whole weekend.

My first impression was disappointing, but a ray of sunshine smiled upon me with the gentleman that registered us in, funny and personable. Getting onto the ship was normal, but when I tried to drop off a bottle of champagne in my cabin the Head Stewart was extremely obnoxious. I completely understand that the cabin was not ready but I just wanted to drop off a bottle that was weighing done my carry on, the Head Stewart was downright nasty. When I asked him nicely that I just wanted to place the champagne bottle down he rudely repeated that the room was not ready. I didn’t need the room to be ready I was just dropping something off. He also pointed out that they were not responsible if something happen to the bottle. To be truthful that would have been my last concern. On a positive note our cabin Stewart was great(Sage Made) was nice and very helpful when we needed anything.

When I proceeded to put the champagne bottle in my cabin I notice a couch and a queen bed, while there were 3 of us staying in one room, I was confused as to where I'd be sleeping. The picture shown on NCL's website was that of two beds and a bunk bed. Nowhere does it show a mini couch. At this point I was upset because I knew how uncomfortable it would be to sleep on a miniature couch. As I storm out of the room I tell my brother that I have had it with the cruise and wanted to go home. Your Head Stewarts look me in the eye and says the following: "You may do as you please if that is what you want" Never in all the time that I have cruised with other lines have I been subjected to such unserviceable behavior . Frist of all the correct response should have been " I am sorry you feel this way, is there anything I can do to help?" not what he said. I do not know who trains your staff but that person needs to be fired. About 45% of the ships employees where rude, unserviceable, and lost. The main reason to cruise is to enjoy yourself with the great service provided but NCL Failed with a capital F here. I wished I'd known that I could decline my gratuities on ship because that would be exactly what I would have done. Only tipping our cabin Stewart. Actually I'd like to request that someone look into this and see how I can get a refund for them since I was treated so poorly.

Since the ship was fully booked we couldn’t be changed to a different room so I had to sleep on a couch that was so small that at 5'3 my feet were hanging from the bottom of the bed. This is unacceptable and I can't believe that NCL as a company would provide this sort of accommodation seeing that a couch that size could not possible fit an adult size person. I spent 3 night with a bar under my waist and it was very uncomfortable. I feel cheated because your website mislead me when making my purchase of my cabin.

Bags where delivered but one. My brother's bag was not delivered at all. I had to finally go down to guest services to ask what was going on at 7:30 since every time we called we were given a later time as to when the bag would be in the cabin. The bag was sitting in the office with his luggage tag on it with his name and address and yet it never arrived in our room.

Cleanliness was also a big problem on the ship. For every 5 plates I picked up one was clean (when dinning in the buffet line). This is completely unsatisfactory. The serving utensils where so hot that it was impossible to serve oneself food without burning your hands. The staff in these area where also neglectful and would talk among themselves ignoring the passengers trying to get their attention. I had to shout excuse me after waiting 8 minutes from them to acknowledge me standing there. I am in total disbelief how terrible your customer service is. I was actually told on Sunday morning that the ship ran out of bagels yet the next morning there were bagels. I don’t understand how you run out and then the next day you have more, it's not like you went to the supermarket to get more. Another example of the lack of customer service you have is when I was ignored for 10 min at an empty bar on the 7th floor, next to the lounge singer, while the lady spoke on the phone this had to be about 8 o’clock. She saw us and totally ignored us. Unacceptable behavior.

Food quality was below average. Pizza was always cold and also its not 24 hours like I was told. If you wanted pizza at 10 pm you had to order it through room service paying a service fee of 5 dollars. That is ridiculous. On all other ships its free and 24 hours. I tried having a tuna croissant and the bread was so hard that as I hit it on the table it would not break. In my world that is not edible. I ate at your steak house(paying a 30 dollar fee) and while my food was delicious, there was a hair in the bread and when I asked for a steak knife to eat my steak it never came. Thank god my friend who gave me hers.

I can only express how cheated and disgusted I feel after the experience I had on NCL. I do not know who trains your staff but you really need to reeducation them on how to treat all customer with respect, and be more serviceable. While I always graded carnival lowest that title now goes to NCL. The worst experience I've had on a cruise ship hands down Less

Read more Norwegian Sky cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sky Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sky 8116

Smaller then small, Dirty and falling apart.