Veendam Cruise Review by ingreece: Thanks HAL for curing me of my cruise addiction! WORST CRUISE EVER!

Veendam 1
ingreece
Member Since 2010
534 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

Thanks HAL for curing me of my cruise addiction! WORST CRUISE EVER!

Sail Date: July 2014
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: Boston

I have spent 271 nights at sea since my first cruise in July 2009 and I can honestly say that this was my worst cruise ever. I thought HAL was my preferred cruise line but this cruise taught me that it is not! Not only am I in need of a long break from cruising but I am very leery about getting back on a Holland American ship again.

The food was very disappointing, the entertainment was nothing special, our stateroom was horrible with construction noises being heard very early in the morning, the drinking water tasted bad and I truly think it was the cause of my tummy trouble. The worst thing was dinner in the Lido where (as another cruise critic member complained) the staff felt the need to crowd out the passengers. It was like camp or dorm food in my opinion. The dining room was only slightly better. Thankfully we did get a better cabin on the second half of the cruise.

Some major changes are badly needed on this ship and I do think the officers need to be more More responsive to what people are writing on this site. The staff seems worn out and unhappy, the ship is in need of repair and a happier atmosphere is greatly needed. The food especially needs improvement. I feel for the crew and staff on cruise ships. Many are not paid very well and don't get much time off. I actually started feeling like a burden to them even though I had paid plenty for this cruise.

I enjoyed all of the ports very much but being on the ship was miserable! RUN AWAY FROM THIS SHIP, unless of course you have a cruise addiction you want cured.

The only positive things I can say is that Club Hal was enjoyable for my son. So, thank you Club Hal staff for your hard work. And, I did enjoy the bagpipe player that came aboard.

But, overall- HAL - YOU LET ME DOWN! Less

534 Forum Posts
Family & Children
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X