Amsterdam Cruise Review by luvteaching: Another great time!

luvteaching
Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Amsterdam Alaska Cruises

Another great time!

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

We were on the Amsterdam for the 14-day trip June 22 - July 6th. We had a great time!

Cabin: 3431. This is a handicapped accessible cabin on the stern of the ship - lower promenade. The shower was wonderful and the room was very spacious. The door was wide enough for the scooter to enter and exit easily. There was a closet with shelves as soon as you came in the door. Directly opposite the door was another closet with a shelf and hanging room. Next to the door area was another double closet - one for hanging clothes and the other had the safe and shelves. There were 3 large drawers in the desk area. We left the beds as twins and had a large empty space between the beds. The nightstands were in front of the window which meant we could stand there and look out. The views off the stern of the ship were breathtaking at times and it was nice to see where we'd been! We'd book this cabin again in a heartbeat.

Ship: The ship was in great shape. She is our favorite and we More enjoyed her yet again. The ship is easy to get around and there are many places to get away.

Staff: Everyone was super nice and so accomodating. I did the Meet and Greet and several officers attended. The CD was Michael Harvey and he was very good. He did a nice presentation for Canada Day. As a Canadian who has lived in the US for 35+ years I learned a few things from him. Lisa, the Beverage Manager, was so easy to work with and so personable. Our room stewards were great!

Food: I'm definitely not a "foodie" and I can say that we never went hungry or wanting for food. We tried the Dive-In a few times. My hubby loved the fries but found the burgers to big and messy for his liking. He found he preferred the hot dogs. The Lido was always well-appointed. We ate all but 2 evenings in the dining room. We had As You Wish Dining, a reservation for 5:15 and, after day 4, sat at the same table, with the same tablemates for the rest of the cruise. Some have said the portions seem smaller and I can see that but I look at that as a positive. I can have all the courses and not come away stuffed. Both Canada Day and Independence Day were formal nights and the dining room was well-appointed for both holidays. On Canada Day there were a few dishes with a Canadian theme and we all agreed that the French Canadian Tartiere was to die for! We all wanted it as a main dish and not as an appetizer. Some people I knew even ordered it again for dessert!

Itinerary: All the ports were wonderful. We had rain in Juneau and Ketchikan but it was spotty and didn't hamper us from getting off and exploring. My hubby uses a scooter for mobility and the crew was great at helping us on and off the ship. We tend to do things on our own which makes for a more interesting time to us! In Icy Strait and Sitka the crew toted the scooter down the stairs to the tender - we contributed to their crew fund as a "thank you". All the ports were fun to walk around in and we'd love to go back to them (even if this was our 3rd time on this itinerary).

Excursions: We did two through HAL - The Rain Forest Tram in Icy Strait and, in Anchorage, the Aviation Museum. Both were very nice and we enjoyed them a lot. The museum in Anchorage is small but the people in charge are very friendly and worked hard to be sure we had a good experience. They even had a couple of the men who had helped with the plane restoration come in to give us guided tours. Every other port we got off on our own and walked everywhere we could!

Entertainment: We only had 2 shows, plus the first night overview, from the singers and dancers and many people commented that they wished we had seen them more. There were a number of special acts including Chad Chessmark (comedian and magician - ok), Jeff Burkhart (comedian - ok), Paul Pappas (pianist - excellent); The Unexpected Boys (quartet - excellent); Lee Bayless (comedian - excellent) and Barnaby (comedian and juggler - ok).

Meet and Greet: We had 92 on our roll call and about 1/2 came to the Meet and Greet. Lisa, the beverage manager, did an awesome job of setting everything up for us. I had asked for a ship's photographer to attend and Vladimir came. It took some doing but he got a very nice picture of all of us. We had several officers there including Lisa, Michael (CD), Clinton (Events Manager) and a few others. The captain did not attend because it was an extremely foggy day and our event was punctuated with the fog horn going off. We were very glad he was on the bridge taking care of business!

Again?: We would do this itinerary again in a heartbeat. We love the ship and 2 weeks is a great time frame. We love the ports and had a great time getting off and walking. My pedometer, by the last night of the cruise, had logged over 550,000 steps and over 130 miles. We had on our walking shoes! Less

Read more Amsterdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Amsterdam Review >>

Cabin review: Amsterdam 3431

Excellent handicapped accessible cabin. Would choose again any time.

Excursion was nicely done. This was our second time in Icy Strait and I feel we've seen it enough. We did the beach walk to Hoonah as well.

(5.5)

Easy to walk around and fun to explore

Read 841 Juneau Reviews

Best place for souvenir shopping for those you just want a t-shirt or something little for. Walking tours are easy to follow.

Great town to walk around in. The new walkway along the waterfront is great. We enjoyed the Totem Pole park and the trails were scooter friendly.

Read 161 Sitka Reviews