“Weird Schedule but nice ship”
Cruise review of Holland America Amsterdam

lexlawgirl Amsterdam 4 Weird Schedule but nice ship
lexlawgirl
Member Since 2012
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating

I sailed with a large family group on June 7, 2014.

We left from and returned to Seattle and took advantage of the pre and post cruise hotel and transfer package with the Sheraton Seattle Downtown.

The ship was small but spotless. The crew and staff were extremely friendly and polite, although many of them do not speak English.

Our room (an outside window cabin, 1962) was clean and well designed. Although it was on the small side, there was tons of storage and we never felt cramped.

The activities on the ship are geared toward an older crowd and we felt rather bored after almost three full days at sea at the beginning of the itinerary. The glacier was worth the "drive" however.

Our teenaged daughter loved the Loft and Club HAL was a hit with my young nephews. The photographers were an unexpected highlight (I usually don't buy any cruise pictures, but ended up selecting the "gold" package for this cruise).

The food, with the exception of Canaletto (which we loved) was abysmal.

Sitka was our favorite port, and our favorite shore excursion was the Sled Dog Camp in Juneau.

Amsterdam Cruises to Alaska
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

1962
Because the cruise was a gift from my mother we had outside rooms with windows (we were in a king bed room and my daughter was in an adjoining 2-twin room) on the First Floor (Rooms 1960 and 1962). I prefer a room with a balcony, but honestly didn’t miss it much on this trip. It was too cold most of the time to leave the door open. My mother, grama and Aunt C were in a Neptune Suite on Deck 7 (7045). That room was the family “clubhouse” for the cruise and her giant balcony was available whenever we needed it.The rooms were nice. I think that all cruise cabins feel shockingly small when you first step inside. I’m not a huge fan of the Holland America MS Amsterdam color scheme (the beige always feels old and yellow-y to me), but there was really plenty of room. There is tons of storage: four closets, drawers in the desk AND bedside tables and we didn’t even notice the drawers under our beds until the cruise was over.
Published 07/03/14
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Amsterdam Review
Amsterdam Cruises to Alaska
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?