Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by kwhitt

Embarkation: other
Destination: Bermuda
Entertainment 5+

Abandon this ship!

I have taken approximately 21 cruises in the last 20 years and this was my first negative experience. This was my 3rd cruise on Celebrity the first one was the Zenith some 20 years ago and it was an excellent experience so much that I continued cruising on different lines because of it. My cruise last year to Alaska on Solstice was exemplary and because of it I booked the cruise to Bermuda on the Summit. The first issue was the checking in I knew we were in trouble when we arrived to the condemned port to board the ship. Our luggage handler wasn't the most cultured person, however when he yelled across the room for wheel chair assistance I thought to myself "this is going to be an interesting cruise." When we entered our state room it wasn't at all what we expected chipped paint, drain in the bathroom out of place, bedding torn, I'm still recovering from back problems from the bed. It's one thing to have bad facilities but to have bad service is worse. I had to ask my Cabin Steward for toiletries after the 3rd day of not receiving them. The safe in the room was broken and I had to ask for assistance 3 times. The hallways are so narrow I could barely wheel my mother down them.

The dining service was a huge disappointment in the Ocean view Cafe apparently when the ship is not full of passengers they have to cut back somewhere right? The food service is portioned out and when I asked for something like sour cream or cocktail sauce they claimed they didn't have it on the ship. I asked for prunes for breakfast one day and they told me it wasn't on the ship and I saw it on the menu the next day. Really? I also asked for a well done burger and the staff told me no because it was a special request.

In the dining room the food was terrible each night my mom and I would order something we thought would be good but it was not seasoned properly or it just had a bad taste. Lobster night is always my favorite meal, how can you disappoint with that meal? They did by serving it with white rice and frozen vegetables passing the rice off for rice pilaf. The Lobster would have been okay if they would have served it with real drawn butter instead of an imitation that you would get on your movie theater popcorn and at that the waiter gave me a few spoons on my lobster. The portions were so small that I would ask for 2 of everything. The food situation was so bleak that we would look forward to pizza as an alternative every evening.

The service is bad, a possible result of prepaid tipping, before it the staff would go beyond the call of duty to insure we had a great time. Now I think they don't work as hard in fact when I asked some of them to clean a table they looked at me like "do it yourself." On the first day we had to wait 7 minutes to find a clean table. Our courses were 20 minutes apart. They were so short handed that I saw a lot of supervisors doing the work.

The trip was not a total loss the entertainment was superb! Their entertainers do a wonderful job! They had a Diva named Christina who gave an outstanding performance she and the comedian saved my cruise.

The Captain in my opinion fraternized with the passengers a bit too much! Every time I looked up he was hosting a volleyball game, wet t shirt contest, lecture, Liar's Club. It may just be me but I rather have my Captain at the control of the ship!

After this experience I think next year I will take a break from cruising and explore my options on land!

Publication Date: 07/08/14