Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by Tybro: NOT AS GOOD AS USUAL

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Bermuda Cruises

NOT AS GOOD AS USUAL

Sail Date: June 2014
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

We've cruised Celebrity several times and it has always been great. This ship was a bit of a disappointment. We had an excellent time but if I am to critique the ship then this is my review:

FOOD-Overall not good. New pre portioned serving dishes is a great idea, but the quality of the food seems to have gone way down. Also, a regular sized plate does not fit on the smaller serving trays. It made getting anything more than one dish onto the tray a bit tricky. Tried Blu 3 times and never had a good meal or good service. 2 of the 3 meals we tried were actually inedible and we left Blu to eat at the buffet instead. Ate in the MDR a few times. The food was good, but not great and there is a definite lack of personalized service when you are on the anytime dining. I prefer the same waiter every night so will go back to that next time.

SERVICE - was okay in some places on the ship, but overall felt like a lack of enthusiasm on the ship's part. I'm very friendly to the More staff and am not "high maintenance" but I do enjoy when the ship staff makes you feel like they're happy to serve you and make an attempt to be friendly. I didn't find that on this ship as much as I have on past Celebrity cruises. Some bartenders were very friendly, but some seemed a bit bothered to be there. Room steward did his job, but no personal interaction at all. No one ever explained the extra immenities we were supposed to get with an aqua class room. Yes....I could have asked and looked into it, but it's not that important to me. Just would have been nice to have that extra bit of attention to detail from the staff that I'm used to getting on Celebrity.

SHIP- Aqua Class Room was good and had plenty of space but wouldn't pay the extra again. Tried to go to the aqua spa and had trouble with the shower. It took 10 minutes and 3 people just to find someone who knew how it was supposed to work and then found it was just broken and all of the buttons were slimy. The Thalasso pool was dirty and the steam rooms felt a bit slimy as well. I never went back to the spa and probably won't again.

ENTERTAINMENT- Duo who play near the martini bar were excruciating. They play the same beat from a computer and then just bang drums to that beat for 5 straight days. The piano player was excellent. The Sin City late night comedy was so bad, I was actually embarrassed for them. Rest of the entertainment was standard cruise ship fare and was okay.

We had an excellent time both on the ship and in Bermuda regardless of my critiques. I was just unpleasantly surprised at the change in Celebrity from my past two cruises and hope it's not the new standard but maybe just this one ship that's a little lacking. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>