Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by Jimm124

Entertainment Not Rated
Embarkation Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Overall Another Great Cruise!

My wife and I went on the May 30th cruise from Boston to Bermuda. This was our 7th cruise. 5th with Norwegian, 3rd on the Dawn. We arrived a little before noon. We had pre-printed our luggage tags and were told to bypass the long luggage line by the person who took our luggage who was waiting as soon as we were dropped off. I can see how some were confused, but it worked out for us. Getting on was not much of an issue. We had lunch in the Garden Buffet and just relaxed until the required drill at 3:15 which was very quick and went well.

We had a mini suite on Deck 11 Fwd. It was a nice room. We had a balcony on 8 and 9 the last two years. Although the mini suite was nice, I don't think it was worth the extra $400 dollars over a balcony. Maybe if you had more than two people, the little bit of extra room would be worth it, but for the two of us, it wasn't that much of an upgrade. We did have a bathtub as opposed to just the shower stall. If/when we go again, we will probably just get a balcony room or try a big suite if we have the money. Although I hear that some have balconies and some don't. Not sure why you would have a suite without a balcony as that is essential to us.

We are both easy going so you are not going to here us complain too much about the food. It was great. There were plenty of options. We have done the specialty restaurants in the past but just stuck to the non charge places this time. If you are big on dining, then it would be worth it to try a few places, but you can get good food just about anywhere, I love the Blue Lagoon, especially after hours, You can order take out and bring it to your room, or just sit down like a normal restaurant. We had breakfast a few times in Venetian which was very good. Between the two main restaurants, the buffet and the Blue Lagoon, there is always something to hit the spot.

The entertainment was great. As always there is some type of main show every night although we only went to a few. The comedian Tim Kaminski is a must see. He got me on stage last year, which is something I dread, but it went okay. This year we saw him on the first day before most people knew who he was. We talked to him for a bit, and then several more time throughout the week. He assured me I would not be pulled up again which was a relief. I hope he is on future cruises for us but since he is scheduled to have a part in a Mark Walburgh movie later this year, who knows if he will be back if he makes it big time. I do sincerely wish him the best. He is a genuine nice guy.

Jose and Patti were great. They are a married couple who sing mostly in the Atrium just about each night. They were on our cruise two years ago and we looked forward to relaxing with a drink late in the evening and hearing them sing, as well as their stories. It seems that it didn't take too long for everyone to notice as most of their Atrium shows were packed. There were people sitting on the stairs as well as on 8 and the internet cafe on 9. We saw Patti on the first day and told her we remember them from a few years ago. She talked with us for a bit. She is also a genuinely nice person. I would recommend seeing them at least once.

Bermuda was fantastic as usual. We have been there four previous times so we didn't feel the need to see everything. We just want to relax and go to the beach. Horseshoe Bay is the most popular beach as it has facilities, a place to rent chairs and umbrellas as well as a place to eat. We went there on the first day shortly after we got to Bermuda. We were lucky as we got a few hours of nice sunny weather. It started to rain, but at that point we were ready to head out. We took the mini bus back to the ship. This is something we weren't aware of before. For $7 per person, they will take you to Horseshoe Bay. And they also make the trip back. It is well worth it. Just ask them at the cab stand area for the mini bus to Horseshoe Bay. On our way back we witnessed a couple on a scooter crash right in front of us. The road must have been wet or something as they failed to turn and crashed right into the wall. Luckily they appeared to be okay, but had a few cuts and seemed shook up. They were from the Dawn as well as we could tell from their towels. We have heard warnings from our many times to Bermuda about the scooters. Unless you are very experienced, don't even try it, and then, still don't. Too many stories of vacations and honeymoons turning tragic.

Overall it was a great trip. I am very laid back and not the type to complain. However I feel like I need to mention one unpleasant situation. Our fridge in the room did not work. At first I thought no big deal. I mentioned it to our steward Raynehard (spelling). He was great by the way, always cheerful and quick to say hi whenever he saw you. He did a great job all week. He said that he would report it. We were giving extra ice all week so we thought there were no issues. However we had pre-ordered some shrimp for Saturday and a cake on Wednesday that needed to be kept in the fridge. We realized that we couldn't keep the leftovers and had to throw them out. My wife said we should mention it and see if they would maybe give us a credit or something. I thought, maybe half of the price of the shrimp and cake, or something similar would be fair. Well, the lady at the main desk in the Atrium was less than friendly. I calmly explained the situation and she said "what would you like me to do, we cannot just give you a credit." She said that they received the report that the fridge was broken and that it had been fixed...which it wasn't. She then said that the fridge was meant to keep the mini bar items slightly chilled and not a real fridge. This was inaccurate as I have had water and soda in there in previous years and it has been very cold. She then said, we should have called room service and they would have taken our leftovers and kept them cold, and them bring them back when we wanted. Oh really, like I would have known that. Anyway, I figured since we have been loyal customers to NCL and we spent alot of money over the years, and that since we were without a fridge all week, maybe they would give a little something for the inconvenience. If I was a major complainer, I would have got her name and would be writing a letter to NCL right now, but I am not. Did this tick me off...yes, would this stop me from cruising NCL again..no, as this has really been my only big complaint over the years.

Overall we enjoyed our trip. We have taken this trip so many times because we don't have to travel far. The cruise terminal is less than five minutes away from us. We were home unpacking before some people who have to travel all day were even off the ship. We love cruising and we love Bermuda. I hope to cruise again, if not next year, soon thereafter.

Publication Date: 06/20/14