May 9 Northern Europe: Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by billhutton
Overall Member Rating
May 9 Northern Europe
Destination: Baltic Sea
Embarkation: very smooth, quick lines and no glitches. Plenty of places to roam, explore and eat while staterooms were prepared.
Aqua Class: at first we weren't sure whether to recommend Aqua to others. First - unlimited use of Persian Garden: relaxing and a great experience, however, really only used on sea days because you're so wiped out on excursion days you just don't have the time. Second - Blu restaurant. At first we thought we may be missing something from the main dining room. The seating is very quiet and intimate, and the food being somewhat (though not totally) healthy was fantastic, we never had a meal that at least part of we didn't rave about. After trying the main dining room one time we learned what a gem Blu really is! Fabulous dinners as well as a great breakfast that was relaxed, not crowded and exceptional service. Aqua is worth exclusive use of this resource alone (unless of course you're willing to spring for a suite). More
Excursions: as with any cruise lines you have to decide to use the cruise ship tours, tour on your own, or reserve a private tour. Celebrity made this very easy, even if you didn't use their tours you we're welcome to leave the ship before their tours. We used several Celebrity tours (which were good), toured on our own (which was great in Talinn, not so good in Helsinki), and a private tour with Red October (which was super-fantastic, ask for Helen!)
Dining: overall great in Blu and at other times we found the buffet to be very, very good as well. They did a good job at the buffet to feature local cuisine, especially at Germany where they kept the buffet open until 12:30 at night with a German theme to feed all of us with excursions that didn't return until after 10 pm.
Entertainment: overall fantastic, the entertainment director J.C. was a great host, including a daily show on the TV where he had a "letters to JC show" from passengers (very entertaining). Some great shows and entertainment every night.
Disembarkation: very smooth, off the ship hours before expected and touring Amsterdam!
Downside: as with any cruise there were some downsides:
1. We (and other cabins of friends) had to complain that the shower didn't drain properly. This was corrected within a few days.
2. Showers: with the Aqua class they have a special shower with multiple vertical nozzles which is fantastic. Unfortunately, when you use this because of the shower door design it floods the bathroom so it can't be used more than a few minutes during your shower.
3. Refrigerator: our refrigerator only kept things cool to warm at best. After multiple complaints we lived with it, our friends traveling with us as well as other cabins near by had the same experience.
4. Afternoon Canapés: as advertised on the Celebrity website: terrible! I kept ordering them (at my wife's objections) thinking they'd have to get better. For the most part they were indelible (except for the peanuts). If it isn't going to be good, just don't offer it.
5. Ship: I have to say we expected more from the decoration and ship itself. Not that impressive when compared to a line such as Costa.
Again, overall a great cruise and worth the money. We can always find fault, but this was definitely a cruise worth the money. Less
Cabin review: 9125
Read Cruise Critic’s Celebrity Constellation Review >>
Not the best cruise we've expe...
Disappointing Chrismas Get Awa...
A memorable cruise; can't wait...
Wonderful experience all-round...