Carnival Fascination Cruise Review by noth18: Disappointed first time cruisers with 3 & 4 year old

noth18
Member Since 2014

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Fascination Bahamas Cruises

Disappointed first time cruisers with 3 & 4 year old

Sail Date: May 2014
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Jacksonville

This was our first cruise ever, and as such, we were quite optimistic and excited that our cruise, booking 89RHF8, would be a fantastic vacation. We read so many positive comments about Camp Carnival and cruising that we couldn't wait to leave port.

During our first day on the cruise, our son woke up early in the morning, around 7am, crying. We did not pay much attention since he's 3 years old and we had booked a family room for four. As we walked out of our cabin towards the elevator to eat breakfast, a security guard (from India, did not get his name) stopped us and told us there was a complaint about our son crying. He then told us to go to guest services to move our cabin, which we did.

We were very upset because we then had to pack our bags again (with a 3 & 4 year old present and restless) to move to another cabin, from M146 to M191, which we did. The problem was, we had paid a premium to Carnival to "choose your own cabin." The price of letting Carnival More choose your cabin was over $100 lower. We worked hard with our travel agent to book the cabin she suggested.

A few days later, I went to guest services to complain about our first morning fiasco, and was told that "you agreed to move." That is not correct, we did not agree to move. As first time cruisers, we believed we HAD to move because security told us to. I asked for a credit for the difference in price, and was told that the accommodations were the same so I could not get the price difference back. I asked her what the point of picking our own cabin, and paying extra was, if Carnival would move us anyway. She again told us, incorrectly, that we had agreed to move.

I do not know why Carnival's internal notes stated this. We were directed by a Security guard to move, which is why we went to guest services. We did not "ask or wish" to be moved. I think it's only fair, if Carnival chooses our cabin for us, instead of the one we chose (M146), that we be refunded the price difference. We are not asking for a free ride or a free cruise, just to be treated "fairly," which we were not.

We wrote an email to complain about this fiasco after the trip, and were told, again, that we "agreed to be moved." This is incorrect, we were told TO MOVE. It is wishful thinking that we ever voluntarily agreed to this. With two young children and two adults, the LAST thing we wanted to do was move cabins.

I estimate the price difference, between choose your own cabin, and "carnival chooses your cabin" to have been $150.

Other complains on the cruise we had were:

1. On Wednesday night, we had very dark water in our toilet at night. I called our room steward and he said it was a "shipwide" problem, and there was a problem in the engine room. We were completely disgusted and took a picture of our toilet. The next time we flushed, the water became even darker, it looked like sewage.

2. All day THursday the ONLY pool on ship was closed for repairs. Thank God the next day it was filled again. However, for an entire day, no one could use the ONLY pool on the ship.

With the way were treated on the ship, as well as not being given a fair price for the cabin that we did not choose, I am hesitant to ever cruise with Carnival again and wish to tell my story over and over again to anyone who will listen.

Thanks,

Dan and Sarah Less

Read more Carnival Fascination cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Fascination Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Fascination M191

It was a nice view, although the windows were quite dirty and old, so the view was not very clear.