Carnival Sunshine 4

“Enjoyable, but could use improvement”
Cruise review of Carnival Sunshine

wahooker
Member Since 2013
40 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

This is my second cruise, first one on Carnival. (My other was on Disney Dream)

The Kids Area (Camp Carnival for 6-8) seemed very undersized, and understaffed. I was really amazed at how packed in the kids were, and I think that probably made it a challenge for them to have a good kids program. The staff seemed very nice, but the program shut down at various times of the day, which made it a real pain.

For example, On a sea day, the program didn't open until 10, then might close for an hour for lunch, then would close again from 4-6... Our Dining was at 6, so we couldn't check the kids back in until about 7:30.

This was a real departure from our prior experience on Disney, where you knew the kids area was available about all the time. We didn't want to leave the kids in all day by any means, but we had to skip quite a few activities that the adults would have been interested in because the kids area closed randomly.

The noise on the ship was More extremely loud around many areas. The pool area was nearly unbearable except during movie times, because they music was deafening at most every other time. So much so that My wife and I had to yell in each other's ear to understand each other, when sitting in adjacent deck chairs. The Sports Square was just as bad, if not worse.

During Daytime hours, just about every deck chair was full, and there were so many out that one could hardly walk on the main deck.

Some good quiet areas to hang out in if you aren't interested in sunburn and hearing damage - Serenity (adults only area) in the evenings and the 3rd floor deck outside the lobby during the day.

Lots of things on the ship were damaged in some way - Most of the sports square stuff was messed up - the Minigolf holes, the Foosball table, the pool table - Pingpong tables with no pingpong balls...

My kids really enjoyed the ropes course, but it was open very limited hours - most days either 12-5 or 2-5.

I was kind of disappointing by the lack of variety in activities. My wife and I looked at the list of activities available, and there might have been 1-2 things each day we really wanted to do on the ship itself. Sure, Trivia is nice, but 6 different trivia events every day gets a little boring and repetitive.

There were some serious delays in disembarking, we were between 1 and 2 hours later than expected.

I'm no expert in cruise ships, but I think I'd definitely want to try a different ship - possibly a different cruise company altogether for our next cruise. Less

Carnival Sunshine Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean

Overall Ratings

Sail Date: April 2014
Embarkation: Port Canaveral (Orlando)
Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review:

6A 6B Adjoining1458 - 1460
The room was nice and roomy - Much much larger than our friends rooms on deck 9.My only complaint was the bed - hard as a rock. My wife and I had serious back pain each morning, but nothing a few motrin couldn't fix by mid morning.

Published 05/02/14

Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Sunshine Review

Carnival Sunshine Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?