Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by nbsjcruiser

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by nbsjcruiser
Independence of the Seas
Independence of the Seas
Member Name: nbsjcruiser
Cruise Date: February 2014
See More About: Independence of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+

Second time as fun as the first

This was the second time for us on the Indy. We really enjoy that class of ship with the flow rider and the Promenade. For the first time for us, we had a Promenade stateroom and I was impressed with its size and layout. For sure I'd do it again. Once again we elected for My Time dining and got two excellent waiters for the week. They did a great job. We both found the food ok with one miss, the Chicken Marsala (which we had the previous week on the Majesty and enjoyed) was really salty and not as good. Other than that, the food was good and tasty. We ate at Chops one night and I can't say enough about that place. Awesome steak, awesome desert and awesome service. Giovannis was ok. Nothing wrong with the food or the service but we both agreed that next time, we'd hit Chops twice and skip Giovannis. Here's a tip for you btw. On the first day they were walking around enticing people try both restaurants with a 20% discount on the first night. We had already booked Giovannis and when I talked to the guy pushing Chops he offered a similar discount for the second night so it doesn't hurt to ask him for a discount even if you aren't going first night. Like the Majesty, we did all of our breakfast's in the MDR except for one. Again, I just find the food in the MDR noticeably better in the MDR than Windjammer.

I did the flowrider a couple times and it didn't take long to re-learn what I had done the previous year. Lots of fun on that. The sauna and steam room was a regular stop for me as well.

Our first stop was Grand Cayman and we went to Seven Mile beach and let me tell you it was stinking hot. Not a breath of wind or a cloud all day. Damn it was hot. I think next time I'll book an excursion in Grand Cayman. I just find that other than Seven Mile Beach, there isn't much to do.

Next up was a stop I wasn't really sure about, Falmouth. As it turns out we had the best day of the cruise there. We went to Red Stripe Beach and while the weather was hot, there was a nice breeze coming in from the ocean and lots shade to get in and out of the sun. It was a locked private beach and I thought was really nice. There was a woman doing a BBQ and while I don't care for the ships Jerk Chicken, her's was awesome. A great day.

Our last stop was Labadee. We had an over the water Cabana with the upgraded lunch. That was a nice day to relax and just enjoy the ending few days of our 3 week vacation.

Anyway, the Indy was great, in good shape, weather was good, service and food was good - what more can you ask for?

Publication Date: 03/17/14