Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by suenami3464

Norwegian Epic
Member Name: suenami3464
Cruise Date: March 2014

LOVE CRUISING, DID NOT LIKE THE EPIC

Let me start with one of the only positive experiences from this cruise was our cabin steward! He was awesome and hope he gets rewarded for his fine service all week. I read a lot of negative comments about this ship on here prior to sailing and I wrote it off as you cannot please people and I will ignore them and make my our opinions after the cruise. Sadly, a majority of the negative comments were right on. The room was awful – small, cramped, curved and the balcony was totally enclosed with a literal solid wall on the left hand side – very claustrophobic. We always pay more for an aft balcony and this was a total joke. The set up of it was so wrong and please know I am not a complainer, it was just really bad. The bathroom set up that everyone complained about was fine, but again no counter space, maybe 6 inches and the curved couch smack in front of the double closet was useless. We could not even walk past each other anywhere in the room. No table and really nowhere to sit other than on the bed. The couch just was so silly. The one thing the room had though was PLENTY of storage. They just do not want you to spend any time in the room but really going to the public areas you felt like you were in an ant farm. No channels on the TV at all. The casino was the largest casino I have ever seen but one $5 black jack and one $5 3 card poker and the rest were $15, $25 & $50 and they sat wide open all week. 18+ floors with most of the “public” areas squeezed into three floors because there were 4000 people on it, made every spot crowded. Waiting in line at the buffet, for dinner and for most all shows was annoying, especially a dinner. Again, 4000 people will cause that and I will make sure to sail on a smaller ship next time. I wish I had the money to opt for The Haven as I think my review would have been a lot nicer and more positive. The pools were tiny, and while I know they are always small on a ship, these were ridiculous. Chairs were not right next to the pool and most were under the cover. There was an adult pool that was like 10 x 10 that did have a lot of chairs but again was crammed with people. We did find a spot way up on the front of the ship that we could sit at and use the shower cause we were all the way away from civilization-few bar servers, no bar and while I understand it was the "Quiet Zone" it was a drag as it was the only spot to find any seats. The water slides take up way too much "pool space" and did not seem to be all that crowded every. If you are a smoker, it is not fun at all. Most of the casino you can smoke in, but the outside decks have like 3 tables us awful cruisers must stay at or suffer humiliation. YES, I know it is so bad for us but it was a hassle. The staff for the most part was so unfriendly and unhappy - especially the bar staff. OH and one of the girls at the guest services desk was so unfriendly, unhappy and literally made us fell like we were bothering her with our simple questions on switching our Legends from one night to another. I do always try to give someone the benefit of the doubt that something could have happened for them to be upset BUT when you are in guest services, you must put that aside and help the guests with a smile - never make a guest feel they are bothersome.

I have to laugh mostly because there was a review of my exact room stating the bed was like you were sleeping in a tent on the hard ground and again, I thought she was being a Debbie Downer so I ignored her but dear GOD it was that bad. I had to ask for a mattress topper and honestly that did nothing. The pricing difference on this cruise was also over the top. People we spoke to paid WAY less than we did and I know that happens so they can fill the ship, but the differences for the same room was ridiculous. Some paid almost $1000 less than we did and that just left a really bad taste in my mouth for Norwegian to be honest. The food too was just ok. The servers in the dining room seemed so overwhelmed and could not keep things straight. Orders would come out wrong, it took a while to get anything, they would forget to bring things, had to ask over and over for water refills, ask for a medium rare steak and it came out well done. Just no attention to detail. I just think filling the ship up as much as possible with apparently not enough staff to handle it, again leaves a blemish on NCL. The entertainment was good. We went to the Legends show and found it odd that they had a Katy Perry singer whom was not good at all. Average cruise age is usually a bit older and I would tend to think that most would never have heard of her. Elvis, and especially Steven Tyler, were excellent. My birthday was Tuesday and we did the specialty Brazilian restaurant and again, just ok. We did not waste our money on any extra restaurants after that. We also saw the Blue Man Group and they were entertaining and funny. The Cirque show that was $39.00 per person and was just OK - not at all worth the additional cost. Very cramped and trying to eat a very mediocre dinner along with watching a rather odd show with horrific music playing in the background was very hard to do. The buffet was comical, you would put something down and go get something to drink and your stuff was GONE. This happened ALL THE TIME. It was crazy. And the amount of times they were OUT of coffee mugs or the coffee was empty was ridiculous and you would ask for mugs and they would say OK but they would show up like 10 minutes later. Perhaps because they clear stuff so quickly is because there are not enough to provide for a full, or almost full ship. We would tell the bus people to STOP taking our stuff we are not done but apparently we were speaking some language they did not understand even though they answered us that they understood. My friend who was a single was about to deck one of the servers as it seemed like he was doing it on purpose…

I was just at a loss all week and I have never experienced such a negative experience on a cruise. I have been on many, many cruises with a variety of cruise lines and this is the first time I came off with such negativity and disappointment.Freestyle cruising is so not for me!!

Publication Date: 03/14/14