Disney Fantasy Cruise Review by pinguy

Member Name: pinguy
Cruise Date: February 2014
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Number: 5158 5160
See More About: Disney Fantasy Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals
Member Rating   Not Rated
Dining Not Rated
Public Rooms Not Rated
Cabins Not Rated
Entertainment Not Rated
Embarkation Not Rated
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Mostly good but a couple mild complaints

DW and I took two teenage grand kids on this cruise. We had a wonderful time. The ship is beautiful. The crew was excellent and always friendly.

The two boys loved the cruise. They don't make friends easily but we hardly saw them as they were off at the activities most days and nights.

We had the extended veranda and we loved the extra room. It is almost three times larger than a standard veranda. We worried about being on deck five as we usually have a veranda on a higher level but it was no issue at all

My complaints are minor but here they are:

1. Our biggest issue was not having a buffet available at night. The buffet on the top deck is not open on the first and last night. In fact, when it is open on other nights, it's not a buffet. I don't know for a fact but I assume this is so you must go to the dining room and meet your servers and then on the last night, tip your servers. Call me skeptical but that's what it seemed like to me. On other nights, the buffet becomes a table service restaurant. We've been on eleven cruises and on the past six or seven we have never had a meal in the MDR. Call us crazy but we always just prefer the buffet.

2. Room service menu is very basic. No breakfast items! We love having breakfast on the veranda but this is not an option with Disney.

3. The wall partition on the veranda made noise all night. In fact, our neighbor had the same issue. We both put towels inside the clasp to stop the noise.

4. Food was average. We did eat one night in the MDR and other nights in the buffet/table service restaurant. We're not gourmet eaters but everything was just so-so. However, there was one very good item. The Sea Bass was perhaps the best fish I've ever eaten in my entire life! They recommended it and they were not wrong. It is terrific.

As I said, these are minor issues. We had a great time and would go again. The soda machines and ice cream machines are wonderful and so much better than buying soda cards as on other cruise lines.

Castaway Cay is awesome. I wouldn't mind if the ship stayed there 2-3 days.

Publication Date: 03/12/14