Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by gregwaustin

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Navigator of the Seas Cruise Review by gregwaustin
Navigator of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Member Name: gregwaustin
Cruise Date: February 2014
Embarkation: Galveston
See More About: Navigator of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+

Disaster at embarkation!

My husband and I were going on Navigator of the Seas, Royal Caribbean out of Galveston, Tx. on Feb. 23rd for a Western Caribbean 7 day cruise. That morning we were notified by email that because of fog in the Galveston area our embarkation would be delayed until 4:00. No problem since we were driving and that gave us more time. We arrived around 3:15 to park our car and head to the terminal. Oh my God!!! Picture over 3,000 people getting off and over 3,000 getting on at the same time. Total chaos is a mild way of putting it. We stood in line in the sun over 4 hours with no water, no snacks, and only one porta pottie for all those people. Now I understand you cannot do anything about the weather but you can do something to help your customers. I did not see one Royal Caribbean person trying to make sense of this whole mess. No one to make sure we had water or access to bathrooms. Some people did not get the notice since they were on the plane so had been standing from 11:00 until they got on the ship at 7:00!!! We got on the ship at 6:30. Carnival was parked in front of us and their people were put into where the luggage is indoors and given water and snacks and their wait time was around 2 hours. I do not know why Royal Caribbean did nothing. An ambulance had come for the elderly because some of the elderly had fainted. Did we see a Royal Caribbean attendant, no. I asked a port authority where were the Royal Caribbean people and they said "we have no clue". We have never had such an experience like this before getting on board. This was totally unacceptable. All we got back in return was 20.00 for missing lunch!

Okay I've vented about embarkation so now I will tell you about the ship. The ship was beautiful and we enjoyed the cruise after the first day. Our room attendant Rodney was wonderful. The food was good but the desserts were the pits. Most of the desserts were like pudding or mouse based. Only twice did we have a nice piece of pie or a real piece of cake. I must say the Windjammer food was better than expected. But the desserts were the same there also.

The shows on board were good. Especially a treat was the Texas Tenors came aboard and they were fantastic. The best show we have ever seen on any of our 25 cruises we have taken. If you have a chance go see them.

We did not take their excursions. Because we have learned in the past if you book through the ship and the weather is iffy and you really do not want to go you have too. So we always book independently. The Cave tubing with www.cavetubing.bz was amazing. Our guides were Jorge and Walter and they took very good care of us. The owner is Vitalino Reyes.

Just to say I hope Royal Caribbean has a plan in place for the next time Galveston gets fog.

Publication Date: 03/10/14