Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by Troonie1: Prisoners of the fog

Prisoners of the fog

Sail Date: February 2014
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Galveston

The fog that prevented us from leaving on time and that kept us on The Ship of Fools for an extra twenty four hours was in no way Carnival's fault. What I do blame Carnival for is having really trashy cruising. We did get underway late due to heavy fog. Considering the lateness of the boarding, embarkation was handled well. I realize that the demographic for Carnival is younger and lower cost audiences, but this was a bunch of yahoos. During our time on the ship, we were treated to someone throwing up on the deck chairs, yelling and screaming, a drunk couple duking it out on the elevator, filthy dishes left in the halls and not picked up, including the pizza that was face down on the floor outside our room. We often saw food strewn on the floor and not picked up. We never met our room steward. The casino's smoke invaded the stairwells and hung there. They stank.

We noticed that since you now pay the "hotel charge" that goes into the tips kitty, that the staff is often More attitudinal and sharp. This morning an elderly person commented that the coffee machine did not seem to be working and was rudely told it was being cleaned and with a gesture indicated she should leave and find another coffee dispenser. Also this morning during our attempts to have breakfast, a guy was bussing tables and stacking mountains of dirty dishes on our table. I asked him to leave. Anytime we called the front desk, the phone rang and rang unanswered. When I mentioned that I had been calling, and getting no answer after numerous attempts, I was informed, well, I am answering now.

Our door would not lock. I called it in to have it repaired and was having a very hard time being understood. Many of the staff have a less than stellar command of the language.

Our particular favorite was watching people show up at breakfast in pajamas and bathrobes, and some just wore the bathrobe. So attractive. And no standards of behavior or dress were too low.

Food in the dining room was bland and often not hot.

When we returned to Galveston, the port was again closed. Carnival did everything they could to help the situation. They were very good about setting up activities to help passengers enjoy their "bonus" day.

I never saw a security officer around and I saw two separate incidents of couples having scary disagreements, one of which was so violent that another couple on the elevator was cowering in a corner and my companion and I stepped away from the elevator.

I have done other Carnival cruises, but am really disgusted by the way this one went. Carnival is low end cruising at best. No more Carnival cattle car cruising for me. Less

Read more Carnival Triumph cruise reviews >>