Pride of America Cruise Review by KasiaWilk

Cruise Date: February 2014
Embarkation: Honolulu
Destination: Hawaii

Never again

This was my first time cruising and my last. First the lines at the dock with no baggage help. If you put tags on your bag as requested your line was longer, like a TSA line but you're carrying luggage. Finally boarded and found my stateroom that smelled of cigarettes. Called about a ship map and was told to go to guest services, I would if I had a map.

Next the nickel and dime for bottled water, OR soda.

And if ship was so concerned about illness, how about servers at the buffet instead every guest touching every serving tool.

Biggest disappointment was a Norwegian Hawaiian cruise with no water in the pool. No explanation or compensation. I called public relations who referred me to guest services who claimed it was a safety issue with loose tile. They were painting the pool, it was not tile. So my carefully chosen state room near the pool that smelled of cigarettes now smelled of paint also. I was told to use the kiddy pool, not big enough to swim and full of kiddies. Or there was another wading pool at the back of the ship with the smokers, far from my room. Pool was opened 4th day of a 7 day cruise.

I ordered a bloody mary, no olives, celery, lime but a wedge of lemon. Asked for green olives but there was no pimento in them.

I ordered a Greek salad, listed with Kalamata olives... got plain black olives.

Probably the best examples of poor service, were an incident at breakfast buffet when a passenger stood up to help another passenger open a door that was too heavy... and her breakfast was immediately taken by the buser. The lady quickly said no I am not finished, (she had just sat down and her plate was full) so the buser offered her her plate out of the dirty dish bin. Next meal I went to sit outside at "the American Diner" to be served, instead of buffet. As I was eating my lunch I realized I was seated under a grated work walkway and there was a worker walking above me and my lunch, dropping dirty rags... very unsafe food practice. If this is cruising like a Norwegian count me out! A very large waste of a large sum of money.

Publication Date: 02/24/14