Voyager of the Seas Cruise Review by mezza

Member Name: mezza
Cruise Date: February 2014
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
See More About: Voyager of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Australia & New Zealand Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Not for us

Having enjoyed both Rhapsody and Radiance O S, I selected the 9 day local cruise to see if we liked Voyager, for future reference but after only 2 hours, I had made my decision.

Arriving at the OPT at the assigned time of 11.30 am, the first thing that confronted us on a drizzly day, was the long queue that was not moving. After waiting nearly an hour huddled under the tarpaulin because the rain got heavier, the queue finally started and without too much hassle, we were onboard and eating lunch about 1 pm. We then did the usual thing of checking out the ship while we waited for the luggage to arrive. The ship was very cold and I needed my hoodie, which I had put on the top of my case for quick access. To my dismay, my case arrived supersaturated and on opening, I found 4 layers of clothing wet, including the pants and top I was intending to wear that night, my undies and of course my white hoodie - which by now was stained by the wet suitcase! Hanging everything around the cabin and using the hair dryer on the wettest garments, I decided i would inform Guest Relations. What a waste of time, their offer of a laundry voucher was absurd, given I had spent most of the afternoon washing and blow drying! At least, I had my say, though I wonder if loading will change much!

Our cabin was a good size with the aft balcony large with 2 chairs and 2 lounges, which was nice. Unfortunately, the design at the back blocks the view by arcs of steel that appear to serve no purpose. The bathroom was a bit small but adequate I guess.

Food - not one of Voyager's strong points. The food in the buffet area was limited, especially in the gluten free department. Way too many people there constantly. We found a corner table if we went there at 11.30 am for lunch or before 6.30 for breakfast. Any other times, finding a table was extremely difficult.

Dining in the Magic Flute with My Time dining was much better and service was very speedy and amenable. The food choices, however were not good and the steak tough. We never had any problems with getting a table at any time so the My Time worked well.

Entertainment was on a par with most cruises, although we did expect more than 2 production shows in 9 days. While the dancers and singers were great, the band was very overpowering and most of the time we could not hear the individual singers over the blasting band. The magician was outstanding - the best we have ever seen on 30+ cruises. The air conditioning in La Scala theatre was ridiculously freezing - well down in the front 10 rows, at least. Apparently the back was better, but then I like to be closer so each night, I froze. The highlight of the cruise was most definitely the skating show - Ice Odyssey - just wonderful. So too the parade on the last day - a bit of fun, which made Voyager different from others. Captain Charles always spoke well at different occasions and his personality and experience are a great asset to the ship

So what didn't we like? - too many people, congregating in the promenade area and the buffet, day and night. The ship needs a major refurb and after October, maybe the modernisation will improve the look BUT they are putting in more cabins, so there will be more people! Fighting for tables just to have a cup of coffee or quick meal, is not something we enjoy so I doubt we will book Voyager again. We will try others as I like variety in cruises but not voyager again

Publication Date: 02/17/14