Carnival Valor Cruise Review by millwrightkid

Member Name: millwrightkid
Cruise Date: January 2014
Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean
See More About: Carnival Valor Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

The Good and the Bad

This is the first time in 20+ years that my wife and I travelled with Carnival. We have done Costa, MSC, Princess and Holland America in the past 8 yrs. We tend to prefer the island getaways for a week and once in a while take a cruise. This is a nice ship, clean, lots of activities, a separate adult area, the loud area and the quiet area for your days at sea or after your island days. Food was good, not great, but I did gain weight. The Lido deck area has so much to offer for eating such as Rosies buffet, fish and chip area with sushi which was quite good, a burrito bar(good), a deli area for some fresh made sandwiches, a monogolian wok area(long lineups 15 25 minutes wait), hamburgers and hotdog bar(good burgers) and a pizza bar(YUCK!). Morning breakfasts in the dining room was a little disappointing, it was kind of a simple menu, I have seen better. Nightime menu was good, food was okay, again I have seen better. We spent the 35.00 per person at Scarlett Steakhouse and at that price, I do not recommend. Too pricey for what you get. My steak was ok, nothing special like they boast it to be and my wife's Lobster tail actually smelled a little to much of charcoal. But the worst part is I got sick later on that night from the food. Good thing my my body flushed it out during the night.

Nightime entertainment is where Carnival does a good job such as comedians, different bars and even the disco packs the people in better then other cruise lines. The port stops on this ship is amazing and that's why we chose Carnival this time(Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia,, St Kitts, St Martin). Embarkation and disembarkation was pretty good as well for a 2900 passenger ship. The workers are FANTASTIC!. Polite, hard working, always smiling. One of the best that we have seen. I don't understand why waiters are wearing shorts in the sun and the poor cleaning crew wear long pants in the sun. So yes I was pleased with Carnival, but not sure I would use them again and here is why.

Carnival attracts a low level of clientel. I am not trying to be a snob, but I never saw so many ill dressed people on a cruise and especially at the dining room. Shorts, sandals, flip flops, tee shirts when the nightly news letter says not to wear this. Formal night was a joke, sneakers, shorts, jeans, flannel plad shirt, I thought the guy left his John Deere tractor outside...lol....or the guys in bathing suits with no shirt in the Lido buffet area when it say no shirt, no service. While I'm 54 yrs. young, have travelled a lot and have seen all inclusive resorts stick to their guns on the dress code, Carnival failed miserably here. Obviously, they are desperate to take anyone's money and afraid to lose this income of money. How sad. If you are going to be a lax, casual cruise line, then be honest about it or enforce the dress code. I know that I don't want to wear a tux or a suit every night, but a decent shirt and long pants with some sandals at least, am I asking too much?

Publication Date: 02/06/14