Carnival Legend Cruise Review by cruiseman8: Carnival Legend Cruise, 1/19-1/26

Compare Prices on Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Legend Cruise, 1/19-1/26

Sail Date: January 2014
Embarkation: Tampa

This was my 5th cruise with Carnival, first time going to Belize and Honduras, second time going to Grand Cayman, and third time going to Cozumel.

First Day: Check in went smooth. Only took 15min from getting dropped off by Taxi to getting on the boat. We arrived around 12:30. Right away at the terminal I noticed this cruise noticed I was the youngest (25) and skinniest (180lb) out of anyone around. This stayed true as I got on the boat, 80 percent of the people were obese, 10 percent were over weight, and 10 percent fell into normal weight categories. This was my first cruise in non peak cruising time so I figured it would be an older crowd, but the mass obesity was a surprise. Anyways, everything was great the first day. We did the steak house which was very good. Got a free bottle of Wine for doing the steak house on the first night of the cruise.

Second Day: The second day was the first day at Sea. We laid out and soaked up the sun. The layout of the Lido Deck More and the deck above that are quite strange. On past cruises we loved to listen to the live music but there was no live music on this one. Also, you can only hear the music from the lido deck as the top deck is cut off because of the retractable roof they have. I like the lay out of The Victory's top decks much better. Dinner was elegant and the food was very good. The best wait staff on this cruise out of any of the others I have been on. The comedians were also very funny.

Third Day. Grand Cayman. We did the stingray city, turtles, and hell excursion. The turtle farm was very nice. I went there around 10 years ago and it was a dump. It has since been rebuilt in a new location and is very interesting and nice. Hell is a tourist trap as it has always been, but funny to stop by. We bought a coconut from a local to drink the coconut water. It was very good! The stingray part was okay. Too many people (beached whales) for my liking. The stingray experience at Grand Turk I did last year was much better. But it was still fun.

Fourth Day. Cozumel. We did the cooking and playa mia beach resort excursion. The excursion was a lot of fun and we cooked delicious fish and shrimp. The chef was great and kept the margaritas coming while we cooked. We then went and hung out on the beach for 2 hours with unlimited cerveza! I really like the the Playa Mia resort. Very Clean and very nice beaches. Might have just done a beach day there as the weather amazing, but the cooking was nice too. There is a big shopping area right when you get off the boat at Cozumel. Lots of shops and areas to sit down along the water and make a day of it. The drug store was interesting as you can just about get an prescription drug you want over the counter.Final thought of the shopping area... There is a good free Wifi Signal by the bathrooms at Fat Tuesdays.

Fifth Day. Belize. This was my first time to Belize. We did the Mayan Ruin Tour with Lunch. The bus ride was 2 hours each was but it was interesting to see the country side. The ruins were awesome, we got to climb to the top and look out into Guatemala and Belize. The lunch was also very good. Tried some local hot sauces and beers. On the tender back to the boat, we noticed the Belize crime investigation was on the tender going back to the boat. I talked to them and they said they were investigating a death on the cruise ship. Carnival did not say anything about this for the rest of the time we were on the cruise, hopefully it wasn't a communicable disease.

Sixth Day. Isla Routan Honduras. This was also my first time to Honduras. We did the Extreme ziplining. It was very convenient as the ziplining is just a quick walk from port. It was way better then i expected. Around 15-20 zipline runs through the Jungle. I was surprised how confident some of the overweight people on the cruise were being trying to zip line. I made sure I got ahead of them so they didn't hold us up. After zip lining we got some awesome BBQ chicken at the beach right by the dock. It was awesome and a beautiful stop, I really liked this stop. We got massages when we got back on the boat which was very relaxing. The staff was great.

Seventh Day. Second Day at Sea. ONce again we laid out and absorbed the rays of the sun.I really missed the live music and lack of energy on the top deck again. We started packing and getting everything ready to leave the next day. I took off the gratuity charge off my Sail and Sign account and tipped everyone on my own. The room steward and waiter were very happy that I gave them cash. Carnival takes a large chunk out of their gratuity when you pay through your sail and sign card. So take the extra 20 minutes, have them take it off your card, and tip the workers yourself, in cash!

Last day. Getting off the boat. We did the self assist debarkation because we had an early flight at 11:20. We got down to the 2nd deck at 7am and were 3rd in line to get off the boat after the Platnum and Diamond members get off first. The boat arrived at 730am but debarkation did not start until 9:50am. This made it very tight to make our flight at 11:20am at Tampa Airport. I would recommend making a later flight as debarkation start time is not set and varies. Another passenger had a 10:30am flight, I am pretty sure she missed it as she was way behind us and we barely made our flight.

Overall Thoughts Positive. Overall I had a great time. The staff was very professional everywhere on the boat. The food at dinner was great. The entertainment at night was awesome, enjoyed all the comedians. The ship was very nice and clean, many stations with hand sanitizer. Being surrounded by so many overweight and obese people really made me feel inshape and skinny.

Overall Thoughts Negative. Did not like the ship layout. Will not sail one in this Ship Class again. The lack of loud or live music outside was a real bummer on sea days. The DJ was really bad on the second sea day. I will not go on a cruise during this time of the year again, will leave this time of the year to the older crowd to cruise. The food for breakfast and lunch buffet has really gone down hill over the past 10 years. Less

Read more Carnival Legend cruise reviews >>