Carnival Legend Cruise Review by Pleasan7: Legend cruise 10th anniversary trip

Compare Prices on Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruises

Legend cruise 10th anniversary trip

Sail Date: January 2014
Embarkation: Tampa

We left home Sat morning between storms traveling on Allegiant air.  After a short flight, we were picking up our Alamo rental car at St. Petersburg airport. Our Chase Suits hotel was being remodeled but the room they gave us was nice and quiet and the free breakfast was normal for a hotel. .  The hotel would drop you at the cruise for a little more but we had a car.  There is a nice restaurant in walking distance for dinner but we went down the road.  It was fun to pack away our cold weather clothes for a while.

This year I could dress for the welcome aboard the ship photo.  We returned the rental car to the Westin Hotel as planned and caught their shuttle.  The driver was very nice and told us where to meet him when we returned as we would pick up another rental car from the Westin hotel.

Boarding the Legend was simple and straight forward.  I loved the photo so I bought that one.(It turned out ok that I didn't learn about More purchasing the Faster to the Fun cruise port . You will see why.)  First we went and saw our cabin 7170 which was very nice.  (Sitting on the balcony making notes about the trip is very pleasant with the smokers only being out once or twice the whole time.). Then off to see Gordon the maitre d who was available then, so we placed our request for a change in dining.  We were given a card to bring back at the sitting we were interested in. Nice to be warm sitting on deck knowing that the first big storm of the season at home was very cold and we were very warm.  The restaurant seating worked out well, we got seats in the middle where I had never sat before on a cruise.  We had wonderful waiters at a table for six including a nice couple from the Midwest and one Puerto Rico couple celebrating her retirement from teaching.  Lots of good dinner conversation with a yummy special cake purchased by husband for our tenth anniversary delivered to our table mid week just as planned.  Fun!

Monday, Sea day.  Some sun and definitely warm.  We went and tried the Putt-putt very enjoyable (my favorite activity)  By the end of the day winds were picking up when we went to formal dining.  (We took ginger so no trouble with sea sickness all week.) The evening dance show was postponed to later in the week to protect the dancers.  Comedians were excellent all week.

Tuesday morning we found out early that the local shore excursions involving boats were cancelled as the port was closed.  We got off and walked around but it was very windy and very cool for Cozumel.  We went off through the pier shops and I saw my favorite shop with the dye that changes colors.  This cruise was setting us up for lots of reading - I read 2 books during the cruise.  The library was small but nice (look for hours in the daily newspaper.) The stop for Belize was tendered but we chose not to go.  Then  Roatan which was one of the reasons I chose this cruise was so rough we did not anchor - just saw the  pretty islands from my ship - so no new Charm for my bracelet this trip.  Refunds for port charges appeared on our bill along with the snorkel trip that I planned through the ship for Belize. That evening was another formal and I chose to try the steakhouse.  The tables by the window shook so choose one in the middle.  The food was fun and I chose the New York strip Yumm! Husband had the steak and lobster tail and was also pleased.  I recommend it at least once.

Finally a beautiful day, Grand Cayman was on the horizon.  The day started with breakfast on the deck with our stuff.  Our dive trip with "Wall-to-Wall diving"was after lunch so no hurry.  The warm  shuttle to port was smooth and then it was a ten minute walk left out of where we docked.  Could not have been better.  We tried the local McDonalds for a small lunch while we sat at the shop looking at the water and the view of the ship from land.  The trip out on the water was lovely, the water is a light blue color.  The two stops we made were with 84 degree water so I did not get cold until the very end of the second  dive.  The deep dive was clear and husband looked off the edge; I think that I was looking at the wall for critters so I missed it.  We saw a flat fish that fluttered when it was lifted by scooping the sand around  it - very cool.  'The ship was fun to dive at and the depth was good so my photos with the disposable camera good down to 50 feet turned out lovely.  We were not rushed and the crew was laid back and made for a relaxing wonderful dive trip. Others on board the dive boat were a young couple, single college age girl, European guy and an older long term diver so not a crowded feeling.

Back on board the Legend the show was a magician and very good with one trick I still cannot see how it was done.  Saturday at sea was lovely with sun worshipers on deck as expected.  Sunday departure went smoothly with us waiting until our number was called facilitated not having to wait in line.  Gary called for the van and it went smoothly.  We picked up our car.  We were staying on Treasure Island at Crystal Palms Beach Resort.  Extremely nice!

Snow messed up travel home so sat in airport all day but we were home by 11 pm. Brrrr! Less

Read more Carnival Legend cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Legend Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Legend Balcony Verandah 7170

Loved the balcony, the chairs were very comfortable. I recommend this cabin category.