Carnival Victory Cruise Review by crabbychessie: The Good and Not so Good

Compare Prices on Carnival Victory Bahamas Cruises

The Good and Not so Good

Sail Date: January 2014
Destination: Bahamas

Just returned from the 5 night Bahamas Cruise on the Carnival Victory which was, by the way, our first time on a Carnival ship. There were quite a few comments on previous reviews about the age and cleanlness of the Victory which is due for refurbishment the end of this year. Let me say that although there were a few signs of wear and tear, the crew worked very hard to keep the ship polished and clean. Basically, the crew was excellent, especially our cabin steward, Wayan.

Next on the list of complaints in these reviews was the food. My wife and I agree thsat the food was very good. We had fixed time seating at 6:00 p.m. so got to know our servers and they certainly got to know us. It is sometimes the luck of the draw but we ended up with a very compatible table with 3 other couples.

I had one meal which I would rate as below average out of the 5 nights and that was the roast turkey which was OK but the sides with it did not make any sense to me. The chateaubriand More was outstanding. Also, there are many of these reviews which complain about the breakfast and lunch buffets. Come on folks, it is what it is and if it was so bad how come it was always crowded even for the hot dog and hamburger grill.

Their private island of Half Moon Cay is far superior to Norwegian's private island. Plenty of room for all and they have the lunch barbeque service down to a science. We had bad weather while in Nassua but that it could not be helped.

Now, the not so good-why oh why does Carnival insist on blaring music on the pool deck continiously even at breakfast time? I guess they assume all the folks under 40 love this stuff or it will get more people into the party spirit so they will buy more booze and beer. But come on, give our eardrums a break.from time to time.

We were also amazed at the number of little kids on this trip which is fine but the kids decided to make the pool deck hot tubs their private swim pools.

Finally, there is no doubt that Carnival markets primarily to a younger somewhat less affuent crowd than the other cruise lines thst we have been on. It works for them and their customers but as a retiree I believe we will let Carnival to their customer base and will return to Norwegiian or Royal Caribbean or Celebrity.. Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Victory Suite Empress 7275

Excellent. Loved the extra room and double size balcony.