Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by Ima Cruiser: Middle of the road at best

Ima Cruiser
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Celebrity Millennium Asia Cruises

Middle of the road at best

Sail Date: December 2013
Destination: Asia
Embarkation: Hong Kong

I had not sailed with Celebrity for over a decade and we chose this trip as we were able to stay overnight in a couple ports on the way and liked the overall itinerary.

First off, I read the above review of the people in 9156 (the folks with the bed bugs) and I have to say that freaked me out as we were in cabin 9154, just around the corner. We did not experience any issues with bed bugs; but that may explain why there was so much crew noise outside our cabin. The cabin stewards also set up their station outside our room so it was not truly quiet that often.

The ship did look a little dated and there was nothing about the decor that really stood out - the Millenium is really lacking in any type of "wow" factor.

We had issues with the ship transfers as there was not any transfer option for staying 2 nights ashore. This was extremely infuriating as we had to pay additional to obtain a transfer back for both Saigon and Bangkok. Poorly done - not any way to More treat your cruisers. Several other passengers were also upset about this. Don't know why they weren't servicing customers better.

One other beef we had was with the gratuities. We tried to get $100 off as we were ashore both nights in Saigon and Bangkok (we always tip the stewards and table staff extra anyhow) and were told that the gratuities is an all or nothing charge - which seems like a bunch of BS to me. Guests should be able to adjust their gratuities any way they want and not be locked in that way.

At the beginning of the cruise the Oceanview cafe always had dirty plates lying around for a long time and seemed short handed to get it cleaned up. Understandably you are moving from one of the less booked periods to one of the most popular times for cruise hence more passengers but it should not take a whole week to figure out that they need more staff at that location. At sail away in the Cosmos lounge, there was about 250 passengers and one single bartender. On Princess, they would have called for backup staff and the issue would have been resolved in 5-10 minutes. Here this poor guy had no help for about 20 and then we had to leave (without drink) to go to dinner. An officer showed up and I explained what happened and he said "let me get you a drink then" I said "That is not going to solve your issue and I don't have time to wait as I'm going to dinner; there are 200 other people who have been waiting a very long time for service - you should address that first."

In general the bar staff with a few exceptions seemed very disengaged - like they were not interested in making sure everything was good with the passengers.

The live music on board was very average to poor except for the guitar guy in the lobby areas. Night time activities were ok; daytime activities were geared for passengers to spend money - lots of gambling and jewelry events which are of no interest to us.

We were provided the classic drinks package which turned out to be a joke - you could only order about 2 drinks at the martini bar with the package and only a couple of wines by the glass. We upgraded to premium and found that to be very convenient - especially when grabbing water to go to port.

The buffet was not too bad and the MDR had good but repetitive choices. We ate at Qsine and it was a lot of fun although they need to learn how to grill a medium-rare tenderlion.

Embarkation and disembarkation was great - very smooth - no waiting.

Overall we had a nice time, but that was mostly due to the itinerary. We may sail with Celebrity again but only if the itinerary looks good. Less

Read more Celebrity Millennium cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Millennium Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Millennium 9154

Noisy room - stewards stationw as right outside - cabin around the corner reportedly had bed bugs.