Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by mc1502: Disappointed

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Allure of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Disappointed

Sail Date: December 2013

I will get straight to the point. This cruise was a big disappointment. The ship had experienced problems with one of its engines a couple of months prior to my sail date so it had to sail using only two of its three main propellers. This made it travel at a reduced speed. This in turn resulted in reduced time in port for each of the three ports of call. We were so late at St. Thomas that our excursion was canceled (although we weren’t told of the cancelation until departing the ship, which at that point it was too late to plan an alternate excursion).

While on board the plumbing in our stateroom’s shower malfunctioned leaving us with nothing but scalding hot water (well in excess of 130 degrees). Their cure for this was them asking us to shower in the fitness center. Thais went on for three days until they “fixed” the problem. They ultimately “fixed” the problem by totally turning off the hot water so that only cold water was provided More (cold showers are not fun).

On the first day of the trip my son dropped a cracker on the floor, leaving crumbs all over the place. Those crumbs remained there for the duration of the trip, indicating that the room attendant didn’t vacuum our room at all during the 7 days of our trip. Two of the days he took our towels and didn’t replace them, leaving us with no way to dry off after showering. Unfortunately those two days didn’t coincide with the three days that we couldn’t use the shower due to the plumbing problems.

Also, the ship rocked wildly for the duration of the trip, even though we had very smooth seas. I suspect this might have been the result of them not taking on as much ballast as they might have otherwise in an effort to make the ship ride a little higher in the water in an effort to reduce drag in an effort to overcome the fact that one of the ships engines was not working. I could be way off on this assumption, but I have taken many other cruises (16) on much smaller vessels, in much higher seas, but have never experienced the kind of rolling I experienced on this trip. That should not have been the case on the largest cruise ship on earth.

The entire trip was disappointing. The sad part is that it could have been great. The ship is beautiful, the ports of call were great (for the short time we were able to experience them). It should have been so much more than it turned out to be. The whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth about Royal Caribbean. Less

Read more Allure of the Seas cruise reviews >>