Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by Crusingmama1

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by Crusingmama1
Carnival Splendor
Carnival Splendor
Member Name: Crusingmama1
Cruise Date: December 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bahamas
See More About: Carnival Splendor Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

Okay Cruise

This was my 5th cruise with Carnival and 6th cruise overall. We got an awesome deal and honestly you get what you pay for. Everything was just okay. Same shows, same games, same food. 24 hour pizza isn't 24 hours. I don't know why they only have 2 men working that station. It takes so long. Don't waste precious time waiting for the Mongolian Wok. Its not worth it. The naan/roti from the Indian restaurant was burnt most of the time. Ridiculous lines for the tiny Indian buffet. No sushi either. They only have a tasting bar on sea days there. The rotisserie was a waste for a theme buffet. Roasted chicken, really???.

I agree with the previous review about the ship not being kid friendly. Camp starts at 10am and as soon as you drop your kids off the staff tells you that you have to pick your kids up at 12 to eat. We just finished eating a late breakfast. Then they close or have stuff Teddy Bears time that costs about 40 dollars per bear. Most of the fun adult entertainment starts at 9:45pm and camp closes at 10pm. After 10pm you have to pay around 7 dollars per hour, per kid. Next time I cruise, I'm going to figure in the cost of child care. I wish it was included up to 12am. Charge me after 12am, no problem. I felt like it was a scam to plan adult only entertainment at 9:45pm and have camp close at 10pm. We spent over a hundred dollars on camp alone for our two kids for three nights. I rarely got to use the camp but when I needed it had to pay :(. Not much for a four and five year old to do other than go to the camp. Slides were closed and splash pad was closed. Arcade was pricey and a rip off!!!!!!! The machine would catch the stuffed animals and then let them go. I saw countless kids spend money trying to catch stuffed animals to only keep losing over a dollar per turn. Carnival, why not make it 50 cents or easier for kids to get a small toy? Why scam the kids? Fill it in with carnival toys so it serves as a promotion and makes a kid happy? I'm just saying.

I liked the cruise director Eli. He didn't annoy me like previous cruise directors. The cruise was just okay and for the price I paid, I can't expect a five star cruise. So if your on a budget and looking for an okay time with out kids, this is the ship for you. We traveled on Norweigan two years ago, over paid and it was just okay. The kids camp though was really good. We are going to save up for Royal Caribbean or Disney next time. Hope we get what we pay for.

In Port Carnaval: We paid 12 per person round trip to go to Cocoa Beach. The line to pay for a taxi followed by the line to get a taxi took an hour. It was a mess but once we got there it was okay.

Nassau: We went to Cabbage Beach. I think it was 6 per person round trip. It was okay.

Freeport: Taino Beach-14 round trip, half hour drive and it was okay. Drinks pricy at $9.00 for the quality. Better off buying a drink on the ship for that price.

Thanks to Manuel our cabin stewardess and Pande our waiter. The staff in the black pearl was great. Hostess were pleasant (Elena was a doll!). Thanchanot was also a nice assistant waiter. Not crazy about Leslie who took forever the two times that we had him and messed up our orders several times. On the last night we spend two hours in the restaurant. Way too long to wait and eat especially when the kids are hungry. I liked how the menu is set up with the DIDYA ever try, exotic appetizers and the carnival classic selections. Back then, cappuinos were given for free in the dining area. Now you have to pay for it. Wish that was included. I loved the brunch on sea days!!! That was a great idea!

Publication Date: 01/02/14