Royal Princess Cruise Review by fairy_dancer: Royal Princess are you given the royal treatment?

fairy_dancer
Member Since 2013
1 Post

Compare Prices on Royal Princess Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Royal Princess are you given the royal treatment?

Sail Date: December 2013

I recently traveled on the Royal Princess. They recently worked with Match.com to offer a singles cruise. We had over 375 singles on this cruise. If you are single that is a great way to travel and make new friends. As for the ship I just want to offer my point of view to statements made by others.

First the elevators, yes at times they are slow but that will not make or break this cruise experience for you. I found them to be the busiest the first day of the cruise when people are trying to find their cabins, around the ship etc. My cabin was on the Riveria deck so it was convenient to use the stairs to get up to the lido deck were the buffet and pool were. That was just two floors using the stairs at the back of the ship. But to get to the dining rooms I had to use the elevators as it was 7 floors down for me or up depending which way I wanted to go. I usually used the elevators towards the back of the ship. But by the middle of the cruise I start using the central More elevators more. I heard there were people on board to work on the elevators to calibrate them better so they would work more efficiently.

I didn't book a spa treatment right away. They had specials from time to time so I think they offer a cheaper rate if you use the couples room. My friend and I had no trouble sharing this room getting our Top to toe massage and facial. We got it for $119 usually $139 per person. It is a bit confusing to find your way around. They don't really explain well where you are suppose to go. When I entered the locker area you first enter a room with a chair and basket with some robes. I thought it was a private dressing room at first and locked the door to the hallway. Luckily I didn't underdress there as the locker room in thru the next door. After changing into a robe you go to another waiting area til they are ready for you. You can have some delicious tea and snacks.

We were disappointed that the sauna is not free on this boat or the showers. We have enjoyed on other ships using the sauna then jumping in the shower. This is not possible here unless you want to pay $39.00 for the day to use this area. The enclave, I did take a look and it does look nice with several different rooms for steam, sauna and a herbal scented room. They have heated water beds, heated stone beds, whirl pool and 4 different showers with scents or temperatures. This is co ed and you would have to wear a bathing suit in this area.

I did hear that the spa can be a bit noisy if you book a treatment when one of the shows is going on above you in the theater at night. My treatment was at 9:30 am so I had a perfect peaceful time. They will try to sell you products and also suggest a free consultation with the doctor. But I chose not to buy anything.

I had quite a few activities with the singles group so I did not do too many things through the ship but the free dance lessons in the atrium area were informative and fun. The Beatlemaniacs did a great job performing the Beatles tunes and the ships dancers and singers were first rate.

The bathrooms for inside cabins are quite small I felt like I was in an RV camper bathroom. But it was fine. If you travel and are sensitive to light you might want to bring an eye cover for bedtime as the light shines all around the edges of the door to the hallway.

I did check out the sanctuary for adults only which cost $15.00 for a half a day or $30.00 for a full day. There is no pool in that area only lounges. The adult pool is more quiet than the main pool which was fine for me. But if you want even more quiet than it might be worth it but register for it early because it gets full fast. Less

Read more Royal Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Royal Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Royal Princess R539

For an inside cabin it was fine. I guess one good point on this particular room is the one side of the wall is next to a stairway for the crew so you don't have a neighbor next to you on the one side making noise. Plus like I said above you are close to the back of the ship so easy to use the elevator there or stairs.

I chose to do a tour of both the Dutch side and the French side of the island. To tell you the truth other than one side using more colored paint on their buildings then the other i didn't notice all that much difference. The tour guide was quite boring actually pointing out the local fire stations, Mc Donalds and KFC. I can see those at home not a highlight for me. He also took us to a small zoo that was not on our itinerary. I figured he must of wanted to give a kickback to a relative and they collected donations to see iguanas and donkeys. I wish I had just gone to the Orient beach and Sunset beach only. We did stop at one shop in the port area. It had guava berry rum. It was really good I suggest you get a free sample to see what you think. I think they only sell it here.

Oh by the way when I got back my boss sent me an article saying mosquiotes in St Martin are carrying a virus. http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/mosquito-borne-health-alerts-issued-for-st-martin-1.2470221 We did see some flying around. You might want to wear insect repellent.

We traveled to the Buck island to snorkel and swim with the turtles. I went on a sailboat. You can sit on the front of the sailboat but you will get wet there for sure when the waves hit. The morning was foggy and a bit rainy. But by the time we got to the island the weather was clearing up. The water is very clear and you can see down about 30 feet down to see the turtles eating at the bottom. They do need to come up for air from time to time so you can get a even better look. On the way back they offered rum punch, pop and water. A worth while activity. Since I had been to Megan beach before I chose this to do something different. But if it is your first time and you have time at the port you should do both.

Read 2323 St. Thomas Reviews