Diamond Princess Cruise Review by dasha05: MUST READ Melbourne/Tasmania on Diamond Princess
Overall Member Rating
MUST READ Melbourne/Tasmania on Diamond Princess
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)
Our second cruise and we loved it. We are both 36y/o and both self employed.. Our 14 y/o son gave it a 10/10. We hardly seen him on the ship as he was too busy having fun. The first comedian we saw was funny , but the second comedian/magician was terrible.The people who made us laugh hard consistently,were the cruise director and his staff. All the best shows involved these people. The activities were more for people older than us, but was enjoyable competing against our peers. The Movies showing on TV and the Cinema were recent and old favourites. The ship was extremely clean inside and out. The kitchen was UNBELEAVABLE. Absolutely crystal clean stainless steel. Ultimate ship tour people will totally agree. All crew staff were extremely polite and wanting to serve you and keep you happy. The food was exceptional. Good variety and the deserts were a dream to sweet tooths. But also a lot of salads and fruits if your not. Our cabin was neat , but the shower was small. Large people will More
have trouble. Disembarkation at all ports were smooth due to the Captain informing passengers of any hiccups.
1) get a room as close as possible to the middle of the ship. We had b338 and we hardly felt any movement of the ship at all.
2) Take a power board to plug telephone charges and video charges into
3) Take your own Toilet paper, (as I was told) BAD IDEA. it will block up the vacuum toilets and cause major plumbing problems
4) Take own shampoo/conditioner
5) "Tip" the people who look after your kids and your room. trust me.
6) Go about 20 mins early to activities to ensure a good seat
7) Register your visa/mastercard before the cruise starts to avoid having to queue with all the un-organised passengers at the end. A lot of them.
8)Buy the unlimited soda and more package.
9)get a understanding of the ship before going. A lot of people getting lost.
10)Understand ships can be late to port due to bad weather. This might cause you trouble if you have pre booked things in port.
11) The shower in the stateroom is small. If your a large person, your going to have trouble
12) The laundry services on the Ship is expensive($3 for a pair of socks,washed only,not dried) We filled a suitcase with the washing and took it to a laundry/coffee shop in Hobart. 5 minutes walk from the ship. It cost us $14 for the wash and dry, instead of around $100. We spent the savings on lunch and a bottle of Red...And when returning to the ship, was asked are you a new passenger( due to the suitcase), our response was ,no thats our shopping bag. We got a good laugh.
Things people didn't seem to know about :
1) The Ultimate Ship Tour - $150 per person, Can only be booked on board. Go immediately to main desk when boarded and book it. They only accept 10- 20 people. Well worth it, and a really nice surprise (which even I didn't know about) delivered to your cabin when finished. Would love to tell you, but will ruin it for the lucky few who do it. They don't tell you about the gifts your going to get.
2) ALL power points are American. You have to ask for an "Adaptor" so you can plug your aussie power board in.
3) American ship, means American money in the casino Area. Changing currency was a little annoying at times. They will charge you $4, every time you change money from Aussie $$ to US$$..meaning, changing $20 Aussie, you will get $17 US less the $4 fee which means you only get $13 US for your Aussie $20. Avoid this by Putting credit directly onto your Cabin Door access card (which you pay at the end of cruise)
4) Pack of cigarettes is $4 and you are able to take 200 sticks each, home with you
5) You can use your cabin door access card to play the pokies. Will need instructions at first on how to set up a pin number, but once done, you can play with the card without cash. Just add money directly onto card via the machine itself. Very easy.
6) with the coffee card you purchase, you get free cups of good quality tea with it. Ask and you will receive
7) The $11.50 fee for gratuities per person each day they charge to your account, YOU DONT have to pay. We realised this half way through the cruise. Go to ships main desk and sign a waiver.
8) When boarding from any port, you can bring on 1 bottle of wine/champagne under 750ml each.
9) Cant get any food or drink after around 11-11.30pm. Its all closed
10) Can get room service for Breakfast. Its free.
11) The sanctuary is not free. But we did use the outdoor heated spa's in the area which were.
12) If you go on the Red Decker bus in Hobart (recommended) , be aware it STOPS at 3pm. We got caught out paying $65 total and only on the bus for 15minutes, as when we went to go back to it, it was all finished.
.If your our age and are expecting to dance the night away with similar age group, this trip is not for you. Most people(except us) were in bed by 11.30pm.If you want a relaxing trip without young drunks, this is it.
Had never been to Hobart before, but was a very relaxing place. A bit cold on the day.
In Melbourne we spent the entire day shopping at the DFO (discount factory outlet). There was no need to leave as they had everything, but you HAVE TO LOOK ,as some shops prices were ridiculous and some were fantastic prices worthy of the name DFO.
Only thing else that needs to be said, were already looking to book our next trip,Sydney-Western Australia-Singapore in 2015 which is not available just yet, but will be in the new year. WOOHOO.. Less
Read more Diamond Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Diamond Princess Review >>
First and last time with P&O!
You'll have fun but don't expe...
Had a nice time!!
Never will I cruise P&O again,...
Not so rough Diamond.
Diamond Princess, The Good, Th...
THE FAR EAST WITH PRINCESS
Good but should have been bett...