Pacific Jewel Cruise Review by gillya: Pacific Jewel was a fake.

gillya
Member Since 2013

Cabin Not Rated

Pacific Jewel was a fake.

Sail Date: November 2013
Destination: South Pacific
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)

Room 11150 was large enough and comfortable. Deck 11 which was the most expensive was very noisy all day and most of the night and Reception was at best completely uninterested when I advised them of the noise.

The alcohol was extremely expensive and pushed on you every chance the waiters have. It is obvious the cruise managers have instructed staff to push all drinks onto holidayers all day and night and during meals.

Also the individual bars have widely varied views of Responsible Service of alcohol. Some bars will sell to people very intoxicated while other bar people will cut people for no reason but with ridiculous times. This cruise company sells itself as a party ship but watch out! I am a non drinker but members of our group suffered heaps of trouble in buying drinks. You are not allowed to buy 2 drinks for yourself and if you lie and say you are getting a friend one you are barred for sometimes 5 min, sometimes 60min or until 5pm the next day. Despite this More my wife was able to buy a bottle of wine everyday with 1 glass and not be stopped or questioned. After a lot of trouble my nephew and I arranged a meeting with DAVE the security alcohol and food manager. This wanker is full of shit as he promised to sort our problem but it actually got worse. The next night as a non drinker I got barred for trying to question the top deck bar idiot why he refused to sell a drink to my very sober nephew.

Do not use this cruise company if you wish to drink reasonably every day without hassles.

As a first time cruiser I was looking forward to the holiday and the food as my wife sailed with a very upmarket cruise liner called Silver Sea and sure raved about the food nonstop. She and I were very disappointed with the quality of the food on P & O. At its best it is little better than eat in Pizza Hut quality food, with matching service.

The upmarket restaurant is called Waterfront and the restaurant does look nice but that is where the

niceities end. Food is cold, not up to reasonable standards and very slow. We ended up ordering 2 entrees each in the hope one would be nice. Also the holidaying men have to wear trousers and going out shoes every night without exception in this restaurant. Shorts and thongs or sandals are not allowed and enforced. However when you walk in bitches can wear the shortest, tattiest shorts and thongs without a word being said.

The entertainment during the day is nonexistent unless you want to use the casino or listen to seminars on how to part with even more money such as spa treatments, rock climbing on the boat or abseiling down the big screen on the top deck. All of these things are noted in their brochures as a small cost is applied but the actual cost is anywhere from $120 to $180. We did see the funniest comedian I had ever heard on board called Michael I think, short dude with a beard but absolutely genuinely funny bloke. He never tried too hard to force jokes, people laughing so hard they were doubled up in fits ( maybe that was the food on second thoughts). Really good audience interaction and 10/10.

PLease note that nothing is free on this boat, not even a complimentary bottle of water in your room after you spend 2 hours going through the long queues and hassles boarding the cruise initially. Our group of 5 (with 1 non drinker) ended up with an On board bill of $3800 plus an extra $1000 for the onshore tours, some of which were lots of fun even though all were very overpriced.

Duty Free booze can be bought on the boat at very very good prices but they are then locked away never to be seen until you depart back home.

Disembarkation was well organised and quick off the boat but do not rely on taxi's to take you from the White Bridge dock, very long waits and no trains or buses are available. Security organising the taxi cues are the lowest form of workers available in my opinion. Slovenly, untidy, rude and uninterested are some adjectives I can use on this forum.

In summary steer well clear of P & O and pay the extra and sail on Silver Sea cruises or similar. Good Luck. Less

Read more Pacific Jewel cruise reviews >>