Myself, 46, wife 42, son 13 son 3 decided to spend our thanksgiving cruising. We took this cruise this time of year to get our platinum status before carnival changed the vip policy. The seas were terrible, which was no fault of carnivals. 12'!
It is very obvious in the cutbacks that carnival has made in the last two years. Im not sure if it has to do with the triumph and concordia incidents or what.....
This was our tenth cruise with carnival, we have been on the biggest to the smallest of their fleet. We were expecting good things from a boat that just had 15 million dollars spent on upgrading it.
Easiest way to show changes ive witnessed is simply listing them.
1. No waitstaff on lido to bring drinks. you want a drink go get it.
2. lounge and showroom are now one! terrible idea. chairs that slide and are stacked up to turn into a lounge at night.
3. sewerage smell on deck 4 that you could not handle! and several other areas of the ship.
4. I was taking platinum cruise but when we went to embark, I was issued a blue(first timer) card. Which by the way was not located in the vip lounge. So our embarkation process took longer than even the normal process and we werent even in a line.
5. debarkation was difficult for platinum as well instead of making it easier they herded all platinum member to the dining room and made us sit for half an hour.
6.Shows were terrible! there were only 8 dancers on the entire ship. Hard to put on much of a production with 8 people.
7. Cruise director Jamie was basically a boppy dancer. No personality kinda acted 12.
8. ship was hard to navigate and some areas of ship pretty hard to find actually.
9. Decks and floors were almost always wet. there is no drainage built into lido so when the pool sloshed from the waves the had guys with squeegies constantly pushing water away splashing all on areas where icecream and burgers are served.
10. There was no aft pool and only 1 little bitty pool on lido. So guess where the kids were? yep in the hot tubs!
11. Guest services were very rude to some people I saw, but not to me.
12. The midnight buffets and gala presentations are no longer existent!
we were waiting on an elevator on the 5th floor and a big piece of metal ttrim work just fell off the roof. Luckily no one was under it.
13. The ship was obviously ruched back into service way too soon. There was still a lot of construction going on and a whole lot of repairs that needed to be made.
14. Our toilet would not flush at times and maybe 5-10 minutes after you tried to flush it it would do it all by itself.
15.We ate in the sunset dining room everynight. The waitstaff did not sing or perform. Not even the night when they tell you goodbye.
16. the bars were way understaffed. It took upwards of 10 minutes at times just to get waited on. And one bartender in the atrium gave our 13 yr old son a "virgin" pina coloda that was about as virgin as well........
17. waterworks and sportsquare were pretty small and almost always taken over by the same kids.
18. The food on lido was terrible. The guys burgers were pretty good but were heart attacks on a platter! lol
19. The captains party was a real joke! it was basically the captain standing in the walkway in the casino and you could walk up and take a picture with him (with your own camera). No drinks or snacks or even formal gathering.
20. comedy show lounge is so small if you arent there 45 minutes before show you probably wont get a seat or will be forced to sit in back where you watch it on a monitor.
21. areas you used to could explore like on the front bow of the ship etc are off limits now.
I could keep listing things but surely this gives you an idea. All this put on top of terrible weather, 12' seas and 1 port rained out. = pretty bad investment!
This was our platinum cruise with carnival but probably our last. We will be using royal carribean in the spring and see what they are like. Carnival has definitely went to "get em on get tier money and get them out" mentality.