Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by mlg78

Member Name: mlg78
Cruise Date: October 2013
Embarkation: San Juan
Destination: Southern Caribbean
See More About: Jewel of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

A great first cruise!

My husband and I were skeptical about cruising. My mom is a frequent cruiser but neither of us had been. It turns out we loved it far more than we ever could have expected and we're booking our next cruise in the coming weeks. While we don't have anything to compare it to, we had few disappointments. Some of the Windjammer food was "eh"...but as my husband said, "It's good food in mass quantity production." We enjoyed our dinners and our server, Kennedy, was nothing short of amazing. My husband was sick one night but Kennedy sent me back to the cabin with a lobster for him. I enjoyed the variety of the meals at night. We spent a bit of time in the casino every night either before or after dinner. The slots are TIGHT so use your money sparingly.

As far as excursions, Barbados was the only one we booked an RCCL excursion -- the rum distillery tours. The first distillery was boring but the second was a lot of fun! In St. Maarten, St. Kitts, and St. Lucia we just did tours with drivers we met at the port. In Antigua we wanted to go to the Donkey Sanctuary so we encountered what we later found to be a very grouchy taxi driver who took us there.

Elvis and Carly were very entertaining and I particularly enjoyed any shows or activities where they were hosting. Love & Marriage was an absolute riot and the scavenger hunt activity (the name is escaping me!) was constant laughter! We liked our balcony stateroom on the 7th floor. I don't know that I would want an inside or outside view stateroom and we are planning on a balcony for our next one too. Our cabin steward was pleasant and attentive to our requests. Prior to the cruise we stayed two nights in San Juan and we stayed a bit further from the port (about 25 minute cab ride) at the Best Western Condado Palm. It was a VERY reasonably priced hotel that wasn't far from the beach. I'd definitely recommend it! We got the port at about 10:45am and embarking was far easier than I expected or I'd heard it would be. I was on the ship in what seemed like record time. I would definitely recommend this itinerary and cruise ship!

Publication Date: 12/02/13