Carnival Breeze Cruise Review by tsgtclark: Enjoyed Our Cruise

Compare Prices on Carnival Breeze Southern Caribbean Cruises

Enjoyed Our Cruise

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean

My wife and I have read many reviews about Carnival and the Carnival Breeze, both good and bad. We have cruised Carnival since 1994 with few problems. So when we thought of cruising the Breeze, we used our past experiences and reviews to decide that yes, we would do a family vacation on the Carnival Breeze. The following is our list of good and bad experiences and the summary of our trip.

The Good

We really liked the list below. Some are unique (for now) to the Dream Class and others are throughout the line:

1. The buffet (Marketplace) was very nice. The dining area had the "tropical" look with "palm trees" by the tables and bamboo looking decorations. The food choices were great as well,, for example, the Mongolian Stir Fry station, omelette station at breakfast, dessert area and main line sections.

2. I really liked the Red Frog Pub. This had a European pub feel to the place, plus the beer selections was impressive, both draft and bottled. Oh, the More Thirsty Frog Red is actually good (Carnival's own craft beer). Even the pub food was good, especially the coconut shrimp. The best $3.33 you'll ever spend.

3. The pool area bars and food outlets were great. We liked Guy's Burger Joint and the Salsa Bar (burgers and Mexican food - quite good). The Blue Iguana Tequila Bar and Red Frog Rum Bar were nicely themed. We also liked the Plaza Cafe for a quick lunch or snack.

4. My wife and I especially liked Serenity. Nothing against children, we've raised two of own, but it nice to have an adults-only area to just relax.

5. Waterworks area is fun. I especially liked the Drainpipe and Twister water slides. I couldn't get enough of them.

6. On C (sea) days, Fat Jimmy's BBQ was open outside of Deck 5. It was always crowded but the food was good. Typical BBQ fare, like at a picnic.

7. Overall, my wife, daughter and I were pleased with the selections of drinks offered. One suggestion: if you like to have a bottle of wine with your dinner, purchase the 5 bottle package day one. We do not drink enough to buy the unlimited drinks package so this 5 bottle wine package worked for us.

8. We only saw a few shows but our favorite was the Hasbro Game Show. It is an audience-participation show and was a good show.

9. And of course, my wife loved the Casino, especially since she won a few times (and lost a few times as well).

10. The Dive In Theater. This is the big screen movie screen by the main pool. We liked watching outdoor movies and having popcorn. However, a suggestion: offer blankets when the wind kicks up and creates a chill (as Princess line does).

The Not So Good:

1. Save your money and don't go to the Cucina del Capitano. It is typical Italian food and not worth $12.99. We thought it would be but we were mistaken. You can get a better meal in the main dining room.

2. The Piano Bar was, in a word, lousy. We haven't found a good Piano Bar since sailing on the Liberty in May 2006.

3. We did not plan a shore excursion at La Romana, Dominican Republic. This is a mistake and one you don't want to make. Stay away from the Chu-Chu Train - this is expensive and only takes you to the open-air market down town where you will be accosted by the shop owners to buy their merchandise.

4. Our daughter is a special-needs person (mentally disabled) and we think it would be good of Carnival and all cruise lines to offer on-board activities for them. Less

Read more Carnival Breeze cruise reviews >>