Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by ChapinaNan: Spectacular cruise, with a couple weak spots

ChapinaNan
Member Since 2013

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Celebrity Silhouette Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Spectacular cruise, with a couple weak spots

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

We LOVED our Celebrity cruise. It was our first time on Celebrity and it was the best ever, and we will always stay with Celebrity (we have also gone on Norwegian and RCL).

The cruise ship was beautiful with lots of quiet spots, as well as live music that was mostly pretty good to excellent. Lots of things to do, if we wanted. The elevators are fast, the ship itself is clean and elegant. Food was mostly excellent, and when it wasn't good, it was immediately replaced.

We were amazed at the staff. They were so kind and friendly, really service-oriented and both respectful but willing to serve. Great attitudes. Examples: Bathroom attendants who mop up and wipe up after every guest - and greet you with a smile (if you want to say hello). Restaurant servers who wipe down individual glasses so they won't have spots. Buffet servers greeting you pleasantly. Greeters who ask how your day was. Just *everywhere* in the ship we found excellent service and friendly (but not More over-chummy or obsequious) staff.

The cabin had more storage space than anything I've ever been on! The bathroom had 6 (smallish) shelves, two drawers, and some more space, and a large shower (for a cruise ship cabin). The room had a large and deep shelf above the bed (the width of the bed). The bureau had three deep drawers, and an ample surface. There were bedside tables with two shelves. There were NOT any outlets by the bedside, so bring an extension cord. There is a light switch by the bed that controls the room lights. The desk has a shallow drawer which is filled with a hair dryer (which you must use by the desk) and a keyboard. The couch was not very comfortable, but that's because it's a fold-out couch. Pillows were great. Veranda was wonderful.

Weak spots for Celebrity are their subcontracted services - the shore excursions and the spa. Shore excursions - we had one excellent one, two horrible ones (we got a partial refund after complaining) and one OK one. We will definitely arrange our own next time.

SPA - I got two massages, my husband got one, and my friends had a number of spa services. When I was in the Relaxation Room, they never had clean glasses for the cool water, nor clean cups for the tea. I asked for a clean glass, and the four people hovering around the reception desk stared at me, then said "they're coming" and turned away from me. I then went upstairs to the main reception desk, again found none clean, though I asked and someone ran and got a few. After my massage I wouldn't drink from the water they brought me because I assumed they used a dirty glass. That fear was confirmed when our friend said he was brought a glass of cold water - he drank it, and found a dirty napkin at the bottom! Horrible! Celebrity needs to do better to manage its subcontracted services.

Entertainment was good though not always fabulous. But it was free and mostly fun and energetic. (Odd wardrobe, mostly!)

Specialty restaurants - we did not do any, because it's an upcharge of about $30 per person, and we had great food in the main restaurant (8:30 seating). From what we heard, it was good but not necessarily any better than main restaurant (Gran Cuvee?)

The captain of the Silhouette is very very funny! His presentation about navigation was better-attended than most others!

Overall, we absolutely loved Celebrity as a cruise line - for its facilities, for its outstanding staff (from senior to most humble services), and the comfortable cabins. We will definitely use Celebrity from now on. Less

Read more Celebrity Silhouette cruise reviews >>