Queen of the Mississippi Cruise Review by lx50hatch: Don't wait! Sail now!

lx50hatch
Member Since 2013

Cabin Not Rated

Don't wait! Sail now!

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: USA
Embarkation: New Orleans

My wife and I have been thinking about sailing with American Cruise Lines for a few years and now that I am recently retired, we were able to plan and enjoy our first cruise. I wish we would have sailed sooner. We had a great time!

Some of the things that I enjoyed most were the putt putt on the top deck and the accommodations. Our room had a private balcony which I spent a lot of time on, enjoying the fresh air and scenery. The accomodations of our stateroom were roomy with more than enough space for my wife and me. We had the option of having a king size bed or two twin beds.

The entertainment was great and I couldn't believe the quality. The entertainment was top notch and very interesting. The historian onboard was very knowledgeable, really knew his stuff, and always had something to say about the ports we were in. All of the entertainment was very professional.

The service from the staff could not have been better. They catered to every need and went More above and beyond. At our first meal, I asked for chocolate milk, which the server had to make herself. At every meal, including our last, I never had to ask for it. The server always brought a glass of chocolate milk directly to my table before I even had to ask. I also mentioned that I preferred Diet Pepsi (they serve Coke) and when I returned to my room after a tour, there was a 12-pack of Diet Pepsi waiting for me. Outstanding!

We had an opportunity to take a tour of the wheel house and meet the Captain which was a highlight of my week. The Captain was one of the most interesting people I have met and I enjoyed the opportunity to have several conversations with him throughout the week. The Hotel Manager, Cruise Director, and the rest of the staff were pleasant and always in a good mood.

The tours were adequate for the ports that we visited. The tours always provided lots of facts and were very informative. None of the tours were boring or drawn out. I do wish that we had a chance to get off the bus more on the Fort Donelson tour in Dover to take pictures and see the sights close up, however, it was still an outstanding tour.

As far as dining goes, it was almost overwhelming! We ate like kings & queens! All meals were very well prepared and the choices were more than adequate. They changed the menu every day which kept things fresh. If you wanted more food and asked, there was no problem. Or, they gave you the option to ask for half portions. Meal times were the best time to meet new people as there was open seating. You could sit with new people at every meal.

Again, I wish that we would have decided to sail sooner. This was one of our best vacations and we look forward to sailing with American Cruise Lines again. American Cruise Lines offers so many great options for cruising in the United States. We might even convince our friends to come along on the next one! Less

Read more Queen of the Mississippi cruise reviews >>