Queen of the Mississippi 5

“Down the Mississippi River in Three Weeks”
Cruise review of American Cruise Lines Queen of the Mississippi

JDaykin
Member Since 2013

Overall Member Rating

Many years ago, my partner, John, and I sailed from St. Louis to New Orleans on the American Queen... I always felt that trip was 'unfinished' as we missed the 'upper river'. When John died over a year ago, I decided to 'finish' our trip by myself. I love American Cruise Lines - small boat, fewer passengers, personal service, excellent staff and crew, good food, interesting shore excursions. For ME, as I'm so interested in the history of the United States, the Mississippi is revelatory. The role the river played in the expansion and development of our country is simply overwhelming. By experiencing the entire river - the commerce, the people, the explorers, the Revolutionary and Civil Wars along its banks, I felt I was able to go back in time and feel, personally, the same emotions and scenic horizons as our ancestors. It was thrilling.

I've sailed with American Cruise Lines before, but this trip was IN DEPTH. They considered my trip three separate segments: St. Paul, MN to More St. Louis; St. Louis to Memphis; and Memphis to New Orleans. But for me it was one incredible three-week journey down the Mighty Mississippi in comfort and style. I would recommend it to ANYONE who is intrigued by our country and the people who discovered and built it generations ago. Less

Overall Ratings

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: USA
Embarkation: Other
Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review:

My cabin was obviously smaller than a standard double, but it was very comfortable and roomy enough for me. I love having a balcony on which to sit and enjoy the passing parade of scenery (though on this trip - late Fall - it was mostly too cool to sit outside). Bathroom more than adequate, HOT water!, plenty of storage, WiFi onboard, and a speaker permitting constant connection with onboard lectures and communications with staff. Flat-screen TV for access to 'the outside world', and a single bed. All good.

Published 02/03/14

Read Cruise Critic's Queen of the Mississippi Review
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?