Queen of the Mississippi Cruise Review by JDaykin: Down the Mississippi River in Three Weeks

JDaykin
Member Since 2013

Cabin Not Rated

Down the Mississippi River in Three Weeks

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: USA
Embarkation: Other

Many years ago, my partner, John, and I sailed from St. Louis to New Orleans on the American Queen... I always felt that trip was 'unfinished' as we missed the 'upper river'. When John died over a year ago, I decided to 'finish' our trip by myself. I love American Cruise Lines - small boat, fewer passengers, personal service, excellent staff and crew, good food, interesting shore excursions. For ME, as I'm so interested in the history of the United States, the Mississippi is revelatory. The role the river played in the expansion and development of our country is simply overwhelming. By experiencing the entire river - the commerce, the people, the explorers, the Revolutionary and Civil Wars along its banks, I felt I was able to go back in time and feel, personally, the same emotions and scenic horizons as our ancestors. It was thrilling.

I've sailed with American Cruise Lines before, but this trip was IN DEPTH. They considered my trip three separate segments: St. Paul, MN to More St. Louis; St. Louis to Memphis; and Memphis to New Orleans. But for me it was one incredible three-week journey down the Mighty Mississippi in comfort and style. I would recommend it to ANYONE who is intrigued by our country and the people who discovered and built it generations ago. Less

Read more Queen of the Mississippi cruise reviews >>