Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by Harrisburger with cheese

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by Harrisburger with cheese
Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Summit
Member Name: Harrisburger with cheese
Cruise Date: September 2013
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)
Destination: Canada & New England
See More About: Celebrity Summit Cruise Reviews | Canada & New England Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

Our Sr cruise on the Summit

Just back from this 14 dayer to NE and Canada and I'm trying to get back in work mode. Here's my impressions from the cruise:

Embarcation: Easy and unimpressive. We arrived around 12:30 and were on-board in 45 minutes or so. The biggest hassle was the security lines. They were long but they moved. At the last minute a security guard was going to confiscate one of the 1.5 L wine bottles we were trying to take on board but as soon as it became inconvenient, they let us pass with both. My major comment about Bayonne, most ships have a huge and impressive lobby so that when you first enter the ship, it knocks your socks off, or at least tries. At the Bayonne port you enter the ship on deck 2 which is NOT impressive. And, because of the horde, I missed out on my welcoming drink. We walked up to Deck 5 and had a nice lunch at the crepe bistro.

Ports: OK to good. We were playing our excursions by ear since we were unsure about the weather and our energy levels. I'll go into more detail in the port section but overall; loved Bar Harbor and Quebec, liked Portland and Halifax.

Ship: This was our 2nd time on the Summit, the 1st being a Bermuda in 2010. The Soliticization had its good points and bad. Good: loved the martinin and wine bars and Bistro on 5. In fact, I liked the wine bar better on the Millenium class because on the Silhouette it's more secluded. Hated the loss of 1/3 of Revelations on deck 11 and the awkward placement of Q-sine on 11.

Debarcation: Sucked. We had so many wheel chairs on board that it took a while to unload. We had to be out of our cabins by 8 and didn't get off the ship until 10:45. Customs was backed up even worse. I heard it was because they had a number of ships in NY that day and the customs people were short staffed, but don't they often have a quite a few ships in NY?

Overall: The passengers were the oldest group I've ever sailed with.

The ship seemed tired. There was at least one section of floor in the buffet in one of those cantilevered sections that felt like it could give way.

The crew were friendly enough with the passengers but I sensed an underlying tone of discontent between some crew members.

Entertainment was typical. The costume designer for the production shows could weather a reduced budget because some of the costumes were over the top a bit. I loved most of the live music onboard although I'm starting to get over acapelled.

Food was good to OK. A few good meals, one was the 1/2 lobster we picked up in Portland but I was very alone in this opinion.

Would I take this cruise again? I don't think I would although I might recommend it to my parents if they were still alive.

Publication Date: 09/24/13