Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by wooinc

Cruise Date: August 2013
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: S2
See More About: Celebrity Equinox Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

Good but inconsistent

I took this cruise with my 21 year old daughter. Boarding was easy and pleasant and our cabin was very spacious. We had an excellent butler (Gianni) and cabin steward. The food was generally very good. However, we did encounter some disappointments. Firstly, after talking to crew members we learned that Celebrity is trying to rebrand itself to a younger crowd. While there were plenty of activities for kids and teens, virtually no effort was made to introduce 18 -35 year olds. In fact, we were very disappointed in the programming. While the two guitar playing entertainers were very talented, one can only listen to flamenco and classical so many times. We really missed a piano player. And while we played a lot of trivia, there was very little else on offer.

Another issue I noticed is the inconsistency among the staff on problem resolution. We tried to book spa services and were given dirty looks from the staff that we would dare assume they would have anything open on a sea day. I understand that they were booked but the first words out of her mouth should have been "I'm sorry" and then "how about tomorrow"?

We had a similar problem with a shore excursion. The tour did not match the description, and when I first approached someone at shore excursions she was neither sympathetic or responsive. I must add,however that I followed this complaint up with guest services and the manager of Shorex was quick to follow up and attempt to resolve the issue.

And finally, the worst example of poor service was room service, who did not deliver on two separate occasions. On the first occasion, I mentioned this to our butler who was very apologetic and who followed up with chocolate strawberries later that evening by way of an apology.

As I said, service was I consistent...it was feast or famine.

Publication Date: 09/16/13