Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by wooinc: Good but inconsistent

Good but inconsistent

Sail Date: August 2013
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

I took this cruise with my 21 year old daughter. Boarding was easy and pleasant and our cabin was very spacious. We had an excellent butler (Gianni) and cabin steward. The food was generally very good. However, we did encounter some disappointments. Firstly, after talking to crew members we learned that Celebrity is trying to rebrand itself to a younger crowd. While there were plenty of activities for kids and teens, virtually no effort was made to introduce 18 -35 year olds. In fact, we were very disappointed in the programming. While the two guitar playing entertainers were very talented, one can only listen to flamenco and classical so many times. We really missed a piano player. And while we played a lot of trivia, there was very little else on offer.

Another issue I noticed is the inconsistency among the staff on problem resolution. We tried to book spa services and were given dirty looks from the staff that we would dare assume they would have anything open on a sea More day. I understand that they were booked but the first words out of her mouth should have been "I'm sorry" and then "how about tomorrow"?

We had a similar problem with a shore excursion. The tour did not match the description, and when I first approached someone at shore excursions she was neither sympathetic or responsive. I must add,however that I followed this complaint up with guest services and the manager of Shorex was quick to follow up and attempt to resolve the issue.

And finally, the worst example of poor service was room service, who did not deliver on two separate occasions. On the first occasion, I mentioned this to our butler who was very apologetic and who followed up with chocolate strawberries later that evening by way of an apology.

As I said, service was I consistent...it was feast or famine. Less

Read more Celebrity Equinox cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Equinox Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Equinox Sky Suite Resort Deck (12) 2155

We had a sky suite and were very pleased. The bathrooms were large and well appointed. The beds were very comfortable. I wish they had more English tv channels. Our cabin was at the stern and our butler suggested a wine and cheese party for other family members who were cruising with us. He insisted we have it on the day we were sailing into Venice so we could enjoy the view. He was right, it was magnificent. The cabin was on the 12th floor which put us under the buffet. Sometimes we would hear chairs being moved above us, but it did not really cause much noise.

I am not a huge fan of Barcelona but i recognize I stand in the minority.

Florence Walking Tour

(5)

Excellent information on the way to Florence and then we spent a wonderful touring and shopping.

Montenegro Highlights

(5)

Short tour that provided a lot of information and still lots of time to explore the island. We then took a cab to the new marina, and had a great cab driver back to the port who took us up in the mountains and gave us lots of photo stops.

Private Tour

(1)

Booked a pizza making course through Viator. Unfortunately the local tour operator neglected to tell Viator and us that the location was closed for summer vacation. Viator did refund us.

Culinary tour

(1)

This was a olive oil tasting. The tour did not match the description at all. We stopped in a little town for 45 minutes where we walked around. Then we headed to a farm where we had less than a 5 minute exp,a nation of olive oil. We then went to the farmhouse where we were given a piece of stale bread with olive oil, a little pasta, and some cheese, along with a glass of wine. The name of this excursion implied we would trying different types of olive oil. There was nothing informative or exciting about this tour.

Beautiful as always!!!

Read 505 Venice Reviews

Lovely port, but getting to train station was confusing. Sadly, the temperature were a little too hot to thoroughly enjoy it.