Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by Andyeeed: Breakaway to Bermuda

Compare Prices on Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda Cruises

Breakaway to Bermuda

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

My husband and I have gone on around 40 cruises, many on larger NCL ships. because of the variety and relatively relaxed attitude.

After reading posts mentioning the poor timing of the elevators, poor internet and slow dining room service I was prepared to do a lot of walking and waiting. We didn't experience any of these situations. Once we got used to the size of the ship we appreciated what NCL was trying to do. The ship is more like a city on water than the traditional cruise ship. While eating in the "Waterfront" restaurants when we were in dock, we could imagine we were on land a waterfront area in New York. Some of the restaurants (Ocean Blue in particular) could rival a restaurant such as Oceania in New York, but half the price.

I expected the worst during a full holiday cruise out of New York but everyone was well dressed, polite and not afraid to discipline their children. Believe it or net I have seen worse from English children on Royal Caribbean out of More Southampton.

The cabins and balcony, although very visually appealing was smaller than comparable cabins on the Jewel class of ship.

The Garden Cafe I thought too large to be convenient but NCL had to make it large to handle the number of passengers during prime time. There were other venues for a light lunch such as the "Uptown Grill" and quieter sections of the pool deck where you could get away from the crowds.

The entertainment on the ship was the best we have seen on a cruise ship. There was a superb blues singer and the "Burn the Floor" show was so good we saw it twice. We weren't too thrilled with "Rock of Ages" though. The performers did the best they could with what they were given, but we were happy we didn't pay to see it on Broadway!

The only warning I have is the plugs in our room didn't accommodate certain appliances such as my hair dryer and computer charger. I have used these same appliances on many cruise ships and hotels with no problem. I did have 3 plug adapters which fortunately did fit so I used those with the appliances, but this situation was strange since the Breakaway is a new ship. My Iphone charger did fit in the outlet for some reason. I haven't read of anyone else with this problem, but it pays to bring an adapter just in case.

The app that allowed for unlimited texts and calls for $7.95 on each device was convenient, although it only worked intermittently throughout the cruise. Fortunately it did work when we needed it and is good to have on such a large ship.

As for Bermuda, the excursion to the zoo and Crystal Caves was fun, however we found Hamilton itself to be dull and shops too conservative , but I'm sure the beaches are beautiful.

If you like large ships the Breakaway is a very convenient option for a cruise. Less

Read more Norwegian Breakaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Breakaway Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Breakaway 15124

15124 Small Balcony, uneven air-conditioning caused drafts in certain areas of cabin. Plugs did not fit certain charging plugs.